PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 'Hello' from yet another newbie to the forum

Time-Out
04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi people.

I thought I'd best join a forum as my hobby is turning into a serious interest. I've had fish for almost as long as I can remember. My first were goldfish (obviously!) when I was 8. They finally passed away a few years ago (it seems like yesterday). I got my first tropical at about 9, after nagging my father for years. It was a joint venture; his so-called expertise and my enthusiam and willingness to learn. That aquarium got dismantled and the fish donated a few years after I moved abroad. The goldfish followed me, mind you! I then got another tropical that i faded in as my goldfish faded out. That one lasted until I moved back to the UK. The fish, once again, found another caring home.
Here we are, present day: 3 goldfish (1 'rescue' goldfish and 2 companions), 2 weather loach, 5 guppies, 3 bettas, 2 bristlenoses, 2 flying foxes/sae and 2 bamboo shrimp, although not all together, I might add! The goldfish are growing faster than children and are desperate for an upgrade. The tropical tank could do with an upgrade too, but they're ok. The Mr & Mrs Bristlenose are VERY recent, so still shy. Plus, I believe they brought whitespot to my aquarium, so that's a battle we're now fighting. As it happens, the betta first showed spots on Easter Sunday. I discovered then that NOTHING is open that day. Calamity and woe! I added salt and turned the temperature up, that seemed to help. Anyway, now they have the InterPet whitespot thing (NOT happy about having to take the carbon part out of my filter, as it's attached to another bit - Fluval U2 FYI) and already the cysts seem to be vanishing.
Long presentation, perhaps I ought to introduce the culprits too...

We have: Harley, Ducati, Aprilla, Laverda, Suzuki, Mr & Mrs Baltaco (named after Baltaco who passed away due to shop floor starvation), Lazarus, Asmodeus, Daggeth, Delilah, Daliah, Paul & Barry Chuckle and two nameless shrimp. They haven't been named yet, because we didn't think they'd survive. One vanished from the time I put him in, to the point of making me doubt I'd dropped him in the tank! Turned out he was moulting and is now half the size again and looking gorgeous! Oh and there's Chip. A stowaway. We're not sure what he is yet, we're waiting for him to grow. He arrived in the Chuckle's bag.
The three goldfish are Ray, Pete and Egon :-) That's the family. We love them all. They have such characters. My other half is feeling a bit put off by Mr Baltaco, however, as he believes the fish has a bigger moustache than him!

Northernguy
04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

Time-Out
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Thank you. I hope it'll save me a lot of trial and error, but most of all, expense!

HeatherH
04-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I never name my fish,as when I do it seems I jinx myself and something bad happens!

Welcome to AC. :welcomeconfetti:

Time-Out
04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I find it the other way around. I like to think that Naming them gives them a purpose. Plus it helps when discussing them!

troy
04-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the the site.

rich311k
04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Welcome to AC!

Cliff
04-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the forum

EmmanuelJB
04-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Welcome to Aquatic Community! :welcomeconfetti: