PDA

View Full Version : 10gal stocking suggestions

Irish2539
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM
hey,

Iv an empty 10gal tank sitting in my room staring at me...! Iv no idea what to put in it. Iv got a 25gal next to it,,, with betta, guppys, shrimp, african dwarf frog loaches ect.. and a 211gal with big grumpy fish in it.
Im looking for sumthin diff to put in it... Im very limited for choice due to its size .

u guys got any suggestion? would a african clawed frog get 2 big for it? Iv made 1 cave and its planted.

thanks.

Spartanhockey89
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
GBR with cories would look nice, or apistos. I hate being limited by size, because any of the oddball fish get too big. Sorry, can't think of anyhting else right now

HeatherH
04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
would a african clawed frog get 2 big for it? Iv made 1 cave and its planted.

thanks.

Nah an ACF won't outgrow a ten gallon. Mine's full grown and cozy in his own 5 gal. Just make sure the water quality stays excellent,they are very sensitive to poor water. 10g should be pretty good for two,if you keep up with cleaning/water changes. I wouldn't do more than two,though. If my male was a female,he wouldn't be in the 5g. Females get huge,males get about half the female's size.

(they DO escape,and given any opportunity they WILL. I lost two thinking "nah,they can't get out"..be careful with that,too! They can travel further out of water in places you'd never think to look!)

Irish2539
04-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Ye ill get 1 frog. Im wondering is sand substrate ok? I think i remember reading they can eat it and its bad for digestion.../?

HeatherH
04-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Ugh that's something I wouldn't do personally. Don't know if anyone else has with any success. I've seen mine taste testing gravel before,but he was smart enough fortunately to figure out he couldn't eat it after a couple nibbles. When they eat,it's like a little kid shoving it's face as full as it can get as fast as it can,and whatever goes in,it will swallow in the heat of the moment.

Can't tell you for sure about sand,but judging from my experience with my frogs I wouldn't. (I've only kept dwarf frogs with sand,they did okay).

Padams
04-08-2010, 03:29 AM
you could do a small school of

Zebra danio
barbs
tetra
platy
molly
pair of Dwarf Gourami

GBR's might be a bit tedious with water quality. Remember a ten is magnified 100xs a 55 as far as water quality problems. You have so little room for error.

Personally i totally enjoy mine (stocking in sig), but we are all different. With the activity of the Zebras the "by themselves" fish really stand out but aren't overly stress by the Zebras either.