PDA

View Full Version : Betta tail nipping

ed110220
04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I've had my betta for over a month now and everything was going fine. At first he was a little aggressive to the guppies, but soon calmed down. He looked pretty healthy at the fish shop, but his colours have got even brighter which I assume is better living conditions.

This morning I noticed my female swordtail was chasing him, which she hasn't done before. I looked at his tail and you could see it had been nipped and was a little frayed. I always check my fish regularly for any damage and up to then it had been perfect, so I'm rather upset it has been damaged.

Is there anything I can do apart from rehoming the troublesome swordtail? How long should I give it before I have to remove her - is it likely she will stop nipping?

Northernguy
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
You are best to remove the betta!
It will keep getting nipped.
Guppies will not nip but sword tails and mollies definitely will.

Scrup
04-06-2010, 03:14 PM
They wont stop nipping. I have had 2 bettas so far that were just delicious to the mollies and swords, but all 9 others get along just fine. One of those quirky little things.

I would rehome the betta, he will lose most if not all of his fins. I think the others catch on to the fact that he is food and it goes pretty quick. I can post some pics when I get home if you like of the dmg a few swords can do to a betta in less than a day (while I was at work).

ed110220
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I feared this was the case, but I was hoping not as they had been getting on so well!

I will rehome the swordtail rather than the betta, because he is more decorative and I'm more attached to him.

Irish2539
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Id keep the betta n remove swordtail., They are 1 Billion zillion times more interesting, colorful ect.. list goes on.:) try remove the betta for now, hopefully u have other tank.

Scrup
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
depending on the damage you may want to relocate the betta to let it heal (they actually heal prety fast. One of mine lost everything but his top fin and a few thin strands on the bottom, and was back to normal in a month) Melafix helps.

ed110220
05-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Just a quick update.

I offered the troublesome swordtail to a friend, but by the time he came to get her a few days later she had stopped nipping. Since then she has not nipped at all and the betta's tail has recovered completely (the damage was not great, but as she had caused it pretty much in one day I was afraid she'd do a lot of damage in a short time if she carried on).

Maybe it was something to do with her pregnancy, but I've still got somewhere to send her if she starts again.

korweabo0
05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
glad the problem cleared out~

Sarkazmo
05-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I had a female ST that was so nasty we just called her "B!tch Fish"...

Also, with Betta, if you're not keeping them in a bare tank they will get their fins torn and banged up. My Dual Tail male, Opal, is just shredded his fins by wiggling through every nook and cranny he can find

Sark.

Rhaethe
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
My Dual Tail male, Opal, is just shredded his fins by wiggling through every nook and cranny he can find

Sark.

Slightly off topic, but I have noticed that as well. All other fish I have kept so far don't seem to have nearly the same kind of passion for squeezing into weird, tiny, tight, dangerous, or otherwise off the wall spots in the tank.

Why bettas seem to like to do so ... I dunno.

Pele
05-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Its genetic. They're so used to saying to irresponsible pet owners ,"Clean my overstocked 2 gallon tank, and stop feeding me flakes, *#*$!(^!" that they just cant stop