PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy a fish tank online?

SunSchein89
04-05-2010, 05:11 AM
I wanted to order a 25 gallon tank tonight for a dart frog viv I'm going to be setting up and was looking around online to see if I could buy one since I know most stores won't regularly carry that size. After looking for awhile, I can't seem to find a single place that will sell and ship an aquarium to my door. It may not even be practical for the shipping price, but I just wanted to look to see what my options were and can't seem to find a single online store that will ship just a tank. Has anyone here ever bought one online from a retailer of a similar size or larger?

Cliff
04-05-2010, 05:18 AM
I wanted to order a 25 gallon tank tonight for a dart frog viv I'm going to be setting up and was looking around online to see if I could buy one since I know most stores won't regularly carry that size. After looking for awhile, I can't seem to find a single place that will sell and ship an aquarium to my door. It may not even be practical for the shipping price, but I just wanted to look to see what my options were and can't seem to find a single online store that will ship just a tank. Has anyone here ever bought one online from a retailer of a similar size or larger?

I’ve tried to buy on line before but ran into the same problem. Most on-line aquarium supply company’s (at least in Canada) won’t ship aquariums directly to customers because the freight cost so much they can’t compete very well with the LFS (especially the large chain stores) that have them shipped in bulk. Then there is also the problem of dealing with freight damage claims. I gave up after a while

You should be able to get your LFS to order on in for you. It might take a while as they might wait to add it to there next order. Might be worth looking into if your have trouble finding your tank.

Z Fish Man
04-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Buying a tank online doesn't seem worth it due to shipping costs. but then again if it's your only option then gl.

toddnbecka
04-05-2010, 07:09 AM
It would be less expensive to order the tank through an lfs. They should be able to get whatever size you want/need as long as it's manufactured by the company they deal with. Alternatively, you could simply get some glass cut to size and build your own. Depending on the thickness of the glass it may cost less to do it that way, because you wouldn't need the glass to be thick enough to hold the weight of a similar-size aquarium full of water.

SunSchein89
04-05-2010, 07:16 AM
It would be less expensive to order the tank through an lfs. They should be able to get whatever size you want/need as long as it's manufactured by the company they deal with. Alternatively, you could simply get some glass cut to size and build your own. Depending on the thickness of the glass it may cost less to do it that way, because you wouldn't need the glass to be thick enough to hold the weight of a similar-size aquarium full of water.

I had thought about doing this, but there still will be a water feature in it and probably a couple of inches of water in a false bottom, so I don't quite trust myself with that yet. I would rather order one. Since I work at a Petco, I guess I'll see if my manager can get one in, but our ordering system sucks.

LurkingGrue
04-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Definitely speak to your local fish store about purchasing a tank through them, even if its a chain like Petsmart / Petco . These stores purchase a certain quantity of tanks on a regular basis and typically pay for shipping per pallet rather than per piece (tank) so the addition of your tank to their order will add little or no cost to their freight fees .
And if you don't wanna feel like you're being hassled or pressured into purchasing it right then and there call them on the phone and get a quote as well as an expected wait time . :)

souly
04-07-2010, 04:17 AM
You can buy aqwuariums off fish store sites...petco.com even has tanks you can buy and have them sent to the door.

SunSchein89
04-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Well, it turns out I can order a tank through my work thumbs2: . The cost in the little booklet says 54.99, so that won't be too bad when my 20% discount gets added into that. If anyone else comes across this thread with the same problem, check out petco. They should have a book somewhere near all of their tanks and stands with a whole list of different sizes and styles of tanks and/or stands that you can have them order in if it's available in the district or region, I forget which it was.

Northernguy
04-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Have you checked Craig's list yet?
You can probably find one there for half the price complete.It will be used though.

SunSchein89
04-07-2010, 05:09 AM
I had thought about it, but I just wanted to get a new one so I wouldn't have to worry about removing hard water stains, disinfecting, possibly getting a tank in a weak state, etc. For the size I'm going for, it won't hurt the pocketbook that much, plus I doubt I'm going to find many people selling off any frog supplies along with it. Not to mention that 25 gal. tanks aren't a very common size. This will be my first true vivarium with all live plants, water feature, and the works and it's going to be with a sensitive species too no less. Soooo, I'm just going with all new everything to lessen any chances of screw-ups on my part. Don't want to let the little froggies down thumbs2: .

Sarkazmo
04-07-2010, 08:31 AM
www.glasscages.com

Sark

Lady Hobbs
04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Petco will order a tank for you but it has to be picked up from their store or you'll still be paying shipping. Same as any other fish stores that carry tanks.

SunSchein89
04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the link Sark, I may use it in the future if need be.

@ Hobbs, I work at Petco so going there to pick it up shouldn't be a problem unless I decide to just stop showing up and see what happens :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
My nearest Petco is about 75 miles away. If they were to deliver a tank to my door, now we're talking about $300. More than the tank costs. grrrr

Heck, a few of the online stores refuse to even carry glass lids anymore. One of the reasons I like PetSolutions who don't have a problem with it.

SunSchein89
04-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Thatpetplace carries a few standard size glass canopies as well and they normally run a $5.99 flat shipping rate to boot. Heck, I would drive 75 miles and deliver the tank myself for like $100 or maybe even less. As long as gas gets covered, I have music playing, and I can pocket a little extra change I'm good to drive thumbs2: .