PDA

View Full Version : 55g Stock.

kel
04-05-2010, 12:30 AM
I currently have 3 tanks

A 28g already stocked (overstocked... LFS told me it was fine and tried to actually sell me more fish :14: ) 55g still cycling (fishless, hopefully only a week or two left :19: ) and a 5g with a lonely little Fantail in it.

Right now in my 28g (all of these are going to be moved to the 55g once it is cycled) I have

2 Marble Angels
4 Green Tiger Barbs
2 Tiger barbs
1 Clown Pleco
1 Bumblebee Cat

As of now everyone is getting along fine. The angels are definitely in charge of the tank lol and keep the barbs in line. No nipping has been seen or any signs of it have been apparent but was wondering if increasing the number of barbs from 6-10 would be too much for the 55g?

And as a side question, once the fish are moved out of the 28g my fantail goldie is moving into it, would 2 more fantails be pushing the limits on that one or would just 1 more be more reasonable?

Stats for both tanks

55g
2 AquaTech 30-60 HOB filters (660 gph total )

28g Bowfront
2 Penguin 150B (300 gph total)

rich311k
04-05-2010, 12:44 AM
One gold would be all I would put in that tank.

I hope the tiger barbs stay well behaved for you.

kel
04-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Well the barbs are getting re-homed :evil: They have finally started to get a little nippy and I'm not having that. Spoke to my LFS and they will take them no problem so now....

My question is what can I place with my 2 Angels in a 55g that will have the same energy ( mid level movement and some color ) to complement the angels graceful floating that won't be food for the angels or the cat.

Substrate atm is a mix of large and small gravel so Dwarf Cichlids are kinda out of the running... Any suggestions for new tank mates for my Angels?

terrapin24h
04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
well, other barbs. My rosy barbs have been good fish so far(2+years) as have my gold barbs(over 1 year) The rosys are much larger than the golds. I have 7 of each in my 65. Don't judge all barbs by the conduct of the tigers, My two varieties have been good fish. Every now and then a squabble will break out in the gold barb school, but nothing ever comes of it.

--chris

kel
04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Those are an option, not sure if my LFS has those in stock. Would some Dwarf Gouramis do well in the community? I know they carry a variety of them...

kel
04-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Or perhaps a school of Long Fin Red Minor Tetra... Petsmart says they carry them, only problem is the closest Pestmart or Petco to my house is about an hour away.

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 04:20 AM
I currently have 3 tanks

A 28g already stocked (overstocked... LFS told me it was fine and tried to actually sell me more fish :14: ) 55g still cycling (fishless, hopefully only a week or two left :19: ) and a 5g with a lonely little Fantail in it.

Right now in my 28g (all of these are going to be moved to the 55g once it is cycled) I have

2 Marble Angels
4 Green Tiger Barbs
2 Tiger barbs
1 Clown Pleco
1 Bumblebee Cat

As of now everyone is getting along fine. The angels are definitely in charge of the tank lol and keep the barbs in line. No nipping has been seen or any signs of it have been apparent but was wondering if increasing the number of barbs from 6-10 would be too much for the 55g?

And as a side question, once the fish are moved out of the 28g my fantail goldie is moving into it, would 2 more fantails be pushing the limits on that one or would just 1 more be more reasonable?

Stats for both tanks

55g
2 AquaTech 30-60 HOB filters (660 gph total )

28g Bowfront
2 Penguin 150B (300 gph total)

your 5g Fantail thats not a fantail goldfish is it ??

kel
04-10-2010, 04:29 AM
omg yeah.. :14: Did I mention my LFS is possibly the worst staffed LFS in the country? We are just starting this aquarium thing and they said she would be totally fine there and of course we believed them :shrug: She is tiny atm and is moving to the 28g just as soon as the 55g is finished cycling.. which should be any day now.

The little guy won't know what to do with all the room he will have soon

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 04:34 AM
omg yeah.. :14: Did I mention my LFS is possibly the worst staffed LFS in the country? We are just starting this aquarium thing and they said she would be totally fine there and of course we believed them :shrug: She is tiny atm and is moving to the 28g just as soon as the 55g is finished cycling.. which should be any day now.

The little guy won't know what to do with all the room he will have soon

poor lil guy i hate the pet stores just wanting a sale sometimes . thats good it will get the 28g :)

kel
04-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Thats why I'm asking about tank mates here this time.. I am no longer trusting anything anyone in a store tells me lol... Trying to do it the right way this time :)

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Thats why I'm asking about tank mates here this time.. I am no longer trusting anything anyone in a store tells me lol... Trying to do it the right way this time :)

the best thing to do as well as here is if you see a fish you like ,research research research . look online at multiple sites about the fish . we will try to help you out with any further questions thumbs2:

kel
04-10-2010, 04:49 AM
So do you have any suggestions for possible replacements for the barbs?

Looking for a smallish (not bite sized ) schooling fish that wont harrass my Angels and will add some color to the mix.

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 04:55 AM
So do you have any suggestions for possible replacements for the barbs?

Looking for a smallish (not bite sized ) schooling fish that wont harrass my Angels and will add some color to the mix.

have you checked out congo tetra there not to small or too big and colorful

kel
04-10-2010, 05:16 AM
have you checked out congo tetra there not to small or too big and colorful

Just had a look and they are perfect! I think those are what we were looking for in the beginning when we ended up with the devil barbs :devil:

All kidding aside I will miss the barbs.. they are a hilarious lot to watch swim around chasing after each other lol.. and feeding time looks like a piranha swarm :hmm3grin2orange: I might have to set up a barb tank sometime.. not now but sometime in the future.

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Just had a look and they are perfect! I think those are what we were looking for in the beginning when we ended up with the devil barbs :devil:

All kidding aside I will miss the barbs.. they are a hilarious lot to watch swim around chasing after each other lol.. and feeding time looks like a piranha swarm :hmm3grin2orange: I might have to set up a barb tank sometime.. not now but sometime in the future.

Awesome im glad you like them . lol i have never had tiger barbs but they look pretty cool keep us posted on how everything goes :)

kel
04-10-2010, 05:30 AM
How big of a school could I put together without overloading the tank? Should I worry about male/female ratio?

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 05:40 AM
How big of a school could I put together without overloading the tank? Should I worry about male/female ratio?

well you should have at least 5 as they are schooling fish . as for having a good number and not over loading its just the 2 angelfish and the congo tetra going in it ? also here is a great site http://www.aqadvisor.com/ very easy to use it should let you know if your stocked or overstocked etc . im not sure about the male female ratio and its importance i know in african cichlids its very important for aggression purposes trying to minimize it . maybe someone else could answer that part of the question as im not 100% sure

kel
04-10-2010, 06:03 AM
The 2 Angels, 1 Clown Pleco and 1 Bumblebee Catfish.

Gonna go tinker with that site. Ty for all your help :)

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 06:15 AM
No problem good luck

kel
04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Ok, went to that site and did some tweeking of the numbers and this is the result I think I'll go with AqAdvisor Results (http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=Kels+55g&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=48&AquTankDepth=12&AquTankHeight=21&FormSubmit=Update&AquListBoxFilter=Aqua-Tech+30-60&AquTextFilterRate=60+&AquListBoxFilter2=Aqua-Tech+30-60&AquTextFilterRate2=60+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Congo+Tetra+%28Phenacogrammus+in terruptus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300009%3A2%3A%3A%2C200912011 163%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300046%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300 050%3A10%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple)

Has the tank at 92% stocked with 162% filtration capacity. Now I know the site is not a hard rule site and some more tweeking will be in order but I think 10 is a good number for them :shrug:

Stopped by my LFS today (sure do wish there was another store closer to me lol) and put some on special order thumbs2: They only had 2 in stock and both were in a QT so I'm getting some fresh ones in.

Now all that's left is to get a QT tank prepped for them and finish up the cycle on my 55g :19:

cichlids209
04-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok, went to that site and did some tweeking of the numbers and this is the result I think I'll go with AqAdvisor Results (http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=Kels+55g&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=48&AquTankDepth=12&AquTankHeight=21&FormSubmit=Update&AquListBoxFilter=Aqua-Tech+30-60&AquTextFilterRate=60+&AquListBoxFilter2=Aqua-Tech+30-60&AquTextFilterRate2=60+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Congo+Tetra+%28Phenacogrammus+in terruptus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300009%3A2%3A%3A%2C200912011 163%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300046%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300 050%3A10%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple)

Has the tank at 92% stocked with 162% filtration capacity. Now I know the site is not a hard rule site and some more tweeking will be in order but I think 10 is a good number for them :shrug:

Stopped by my LFS today (sure do wish there was another store closer to me lol) and put some on special order thumbs2: They only had 2 in stock and both were in a QT so I'm getting some fresh ones in.

Now all that's left is to get a QT tank prepped for them and finish up the cycle on my 55g :19:

Looks real good thumbs2: i think you will be very happy with that set up