PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barb Isolating Himself

kel
04-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Ok fist off lets get the pre-reqs out of the way..

New tank with fish in it currently cycling with TSS... Tank was started and Barbs were introduced 12FEB10.

Ammonia .5-1.0 (color is an inbetween color)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7.6
Temp 80
TSS Added 01APR10

Ok I know the ammonia is a high reading I usually keep it below .25 but after consulting Tetra about their product TSS, I was informed that the product will either raise or lower the ammonia level to 1-1.5 and maintain that for 5-7 days before it goes down :shrug: That should be 2-4 days from now :waiting: .

However, this started 2 weeks ago while I was maintaining an ammonia level of .25 or less ( still bad but what can you do with fish already in there due to some bad info from my LFS :stickwhack:)

2 weeks ago one of my 6 tiger barbs started isolating himself from the group and has positioned himself against the back of the tank just under the water line directly under the outflow of one of my filters. He still comes swimming up when it's feeding time and has enough energy to out swim any efforts to net him and get him in my hospital tank.

I am assuming this is just a symptom of stress and ossibly a side effect of high ammonia. I have already prepared myself for some fish loss while the tank cycles ( wish I had found this place sooner ) but just need to know if this could be a symptom of any disease that I should be concerned with or just keep an eye on him and hurry up and wait.

Additionally he has no spots, redness or heavy breathing going on he is just all by himself up top there :help: .

rich311k
04-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Maybe he likes the flow there. Keep an eye on him. Is he getting picked on at all.

I would do a water change. The ammonia is not helping him or any of the fish.

kel
04-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Maybe he likes the flow there. Keep an eye on him. Is he getting picked on at all.

I would do a water change. The ammonia is not helping him or any of the fish.

I'm really itching to do a W/C BELIEVE me! But after talking to the Tetra Rep and doing some reading, everyone says in order to get TSS to work you cannot do any water changes for the first week to 10 days after adding it..and the product will actually RAISE your ammonia and maintain it at 1-1.5 not sure how that is done but w/e I'm committed now so we will see.. my tank has been running with fish in it and daily 50% water changes since 12FEB... all that has ever been produced in the tank has been ammonia never any nitrites or nitrates.. so I am going to give this an honest effort and follow what tetra has said to do and see what happens. Supposedly it should all be over by day 14 :shrug: I am mainly concerned about this being a symptom of some disease that could spread rather than just stress which I have expected to show (poor fish... :14: )

Piscine
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I've never heard of such a thing. It kinda sounds like someone is trying to do a fishless cycle with fish? lol

kel
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I've never heard of such a thing. It kinda sounds like someone is trying to do a fishless cycle with fish? lol

Yeah thats what I thought when they told me that was how the product was intended to work. I finally gave up a couple days ago and started back up doing the daily w/c thing. TSS didn't do a darn thing but lower my bank account.

rhonin
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Any chance of getting some media from another tank?
If not try API Stress-Zyme - Iv'e used this before and had good results...

Best of luck!!!