PDA

View Full Version : Moss Balls?

FishyPastor
04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I have been seing in my LFS Box stores something called moss balls. I was wondering what are they? As well as any other additional info on these items.

Cliff
04-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Iíve got some in my tank. I forgot what type of moss or plant they actually are. They seem to do well in low light tanks. Every week when Iím competing my weekly waterchanges, I put them in a bucket of old tank water and squeeze out the debris from them and put them back in the tank. Very low maintenance and hardy.

Brhino
04-04-2010, 11:27 PM
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Moss_ball

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/images/4/49/Cladophora_aegagropila3.jpg

That look like what you saw? They are indeed called Moss Balls, among other things, including Cladophora aegagropila and/or Aegagropila linnaeii.

FishyPastor
04-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I was thinking about adding them in my tank but was not sure what there reqirements are. Could I use them in a foreground?

Cliff
04-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I was thinking about adding them in my tank but was not sure what there reqirements are. Could I use them in a foreground?

I couldn't see why not.

That's what I used them for in my tank. I thought they would be a little easier than other plant options

Algenco
04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Marimo balls

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/moss1.htm

Dacotah7
04-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I just bought one yesterday at Petsmart. Like so often is the case, the store helper was of little help. He said they were a new thing and really popular.

ME: Ya? So What? What are they? ...like common and scientific names would be of use here.
HIM: I dunno, but it is a place for your algae to grow.
ME THINING: Hey, I don't need a place for algae to grow, but bought one anyway out of curiosity and would research it later.

At home rinsing it off before adding it to the tank, I found what I bought, looks like Java Moss wrapped around a sponge. Did I get duped? LOL

HeatherB
04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I bought one at Petco which was just Java Moss wrapped around something. But the other day I saw at Petsmart 'Marimo Balls" which is what I had wanted in the first place. The Marimo balls are about $8 here, and the Java Moss ones are significantly cheaper.

Demjor19
04-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I have three of them! If you cut them up...they will eventually all turn into moss balls. Very low maintenance. My shrimp love them too!

korith
04-10-2010, 05:41 PM
At home rinsing it off before adding it to the tank, I found what I bought, looks like Java Moss wrapped around a sponge. Did I get duped? LOL

That's exactly what it is. Petsmart has been selling those for ages. The sponge or plastic thing in the middle lets it float a bit.

Dacotah7
04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
That's exactly what it is. Petsmart has been selling those for ages. The sponge or plastic thing in the middle lets it float a bit.

Than I was duped. I could have saved $4.99. Bushwhacker sent me a fair amount of Java Moss (thanks again) and I still have some floating in a baggy full of holes while I decide where to plant it. So far I have two corks covered with it and tied in place. Today I am going to tie more on various ornaments. As I understand it, it grows profusely in the right conditions and is tolerant of less than ideal conditions.

HeatherB
04-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Bushwacker sent me some too! Thanks!

I think I am going to try some in the spill way of my pond. A few places I have read say it grows well there. May not survive the winter, but I can always add some more!

prdoring
04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Thats weird.. I just got one yesterday :) Its pretty neat, and what im reading they can help with algae problems, which I'm having.

Rhaethe
04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
The PetSmart closest to me has some. I was thinking on purchasing one to see if they are real Marimo balls or java moss.

If they are Marimos, I'll probably get a fair bit to use in both the 5g and the 10g.

SunSchein89
04-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Hm, not sure about Petsmart, but the Petco I work at definitely has the legit moss balls. They also have "moss on a coconut" which is a little thing of java moss on top of a carved coconut shell that can be used as a cave with three entrances. The java moss on a coconut runs for like $11 or something though.