PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Information Advice...

riverfish81
05-15-2007, 09:10 PM
My boyfriend and I are wanting to do some research in what we need to do to start a saltwater aquarium. We probably won't do this for awhile because we want to learn all we can before we start one. I think we are wanting to start a large aquarium with fish and live rock. I'm not sure if he's wanting to do a full reef system or not. Does anyone have any suggestions for websites and books that are really good for beginners with saltwater? I'd greatly apprectiate it :help:

Drumachine09
05-15-2007, 09:11 PM
The complete idiots guide to saltwater aquariums is a good one.

2manyfish
05-19-2007, 01:39 AM
"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is a good book to start with. If you can dig through the vast amounts of threads (and have a somewhat tough hide) www.reefcentral.com/ is one of the best sites...

cocoa_pleco
05-19-2007, 02:09 AM
aquariums for dummies is good

Drumachine09
05-19-2007, 02:45 AM
"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is a good book to start with. If you can dig through the vast amounts of threads (and have a somewhat tough hide) www.reefcentral.com/ is one of the best sites...

Hey, i belong to reefcentral.com, along with about three other SW forums, neither of which i frequent as much as AC. I wouldnt try saltwaterfish.com though. Your questions RARELY get answered, and there are so many posts per minute, its hard to keep up.

cocoa_pleco
05-19-2007, 02:50 AM
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php

basic saltwater talk

unleashed
05-19-2007, 09:31 AM
or

like riverfish81 has already done, you can join my site and help get it off the ground :help:

Fishguy2727
05-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Start with books first. These will give you a good, in depth explanation on the info. The two books already mentioned are both good starts. I would read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums first. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist will be good to read second because it gets more into the fishes whereas the idiot's gives you a start on filtration, types of setups, etc. But start with books first. These are reviewed and published by professionals. They will give some really good knowledge and get you on your feet. If you start going by things online, you will end up tryign to figure out which random person online knows what they are doing and who is some 13 year old kid who read a book and thinks he is an expert know. And I find that many people online have tried oen or two ways, they worked, so now they are the only way to go. Whereas books compare all the different methods based on info from people who have actually used them all. Books also tend to stay above the trends, whereas one week on a forum trickle filters are best, the next a natural setup is best.

If you read the books first and then go to forums to clarify certain things you are not sure of or want to know about specifics, you will be much better off.

riverfish81
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Thank you everyone, you all have been very helpful thumbs2: Whenever we get the thing up and running whatever type we choose, you guys will be the first to see the pics:19:

krzesinskag
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
getting books is great because its something you can keep and look back on. your best reading up as much as you can first because marines can be quite complicated to keep. id start with just fish to begin with corrals need alot of special lighting and minerals, but it just depends how confident you feel and how much you want to spend because good corrals are expencive.