PDA

View Full Version : ghost shrimp question

Pot Puffer
04-03-2010, 11:55 PM
hey everybody, just went to petsmart to get some ghost shrimp feeders. on the way home i noticed the biggest one of the bunch has a bunch of little greenish color orbs. they are around its underside, i dont have camera or id post a picture. has anyone ever seen this in there ghost shrimp? are they babies? thanks

korith
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
hey everybody, just went to petsmart to get some ghost shrimp feeders. on the way home i noticed the biggest one of the bunch has a bunch of little greenish color orbs. they are around its underside, i dont have camera or id post a picture. has anyone ever seen this in there ghost shrimp? are they babies? thanks

Those would be eggs. Most likely they will be released/hatch in about 2-3 weeks. Ghost shrimp go through a larval form which usually doesn't survive in fresh water tanks. They need a brackish tank to fully mature usually. The larval form will probably end up fish food which is always good (for the fish).

rocketdude1234
04-04-2010, 12:09 AM
It sure sounds like she is berried (carrying eggs). Does she look like the Amano Shrimp in the picture?

ippielb
04-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Unless you have the American Ghost Shrimp, which doesn't need brackish water for the eggs, then i don't think it'll hatch the eggs.

Pot Puffer
04-04-2010, 12:28 AM
what would be a recommended food for them? would the larva that grow on java moss work? will adult ghost shrimp eat its babies?

korith
04-04-2010, 12:43 AM
what would be a recommended food for them? would the larva that grow on java moss work? will adult ghost shrimp eat its babies?

They are scavengers so will eat anything, leftover fish food, algae wafers, scavenge in the tank for other stuff. Plants and such would work. Ghost shrimp can be aggressive, but not really sure if they will go after their own. When in the larval form will stay near the surface of the water.

More info about ghost shrimp here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/ghostshrimp.php