PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Algae Eater???

FreshwaterFred
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I think I may have made a mistake. I have a 20 gallon tank and a few weeks ago my Algae Eater died. He was about 4 years old and quite large. I never observed him picking on the other fish, and I kept him well fed on algae wafers. I was sad when he died and went to the store to pick up a new one. I bought what I thought was the same species of fish but I may have made an error. This is the original fish (now deceased): http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/513/medium/DSC_4011.JPG
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/513/medium/DSC_4010.JPG

Since he never showed any aggression, I don't think he was a CAE. so question 1 is: What was he?
I think that my new one is a CAE because he has spots on his side. Upon doing a bit of research I noticed that what I thought was the same species actually wasn't.My first instinct was return him. No dice, they don't take back fish. Second instinct was but a 10 gallon and house him separate from his tank mates so he doesn't kill them. 2 problems with this: Parents won't let me have another tank and I read that 10 gallon isn't big enough for an AE anyways. I'm down to keeping him. In the tank there are 2 lamp eye tetras, with plans on getting 3 more to form a school. How can I stop him from killing them when he gets bigger? What signs should I look for as evidence of attack? He is only about an inch right now, and as soon as he stops hiding I'll try to snap a photo for better identification.

I'm really sorry, I didn't expect the Pet Store to change the type of fish they called AE to a different species.

BTW, I hope you like the pictures, he was a truly fantastic fish.

Scrup
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Not sure what that is, but if your new one is a CAE, keep it well fed and look for a new home. Craigslist is a good resource. a 20G will be fine for a while, but CAE's get pretty big, over 6" if they are properly cared for. The few cases where people have had success keeping them with other fish (I've witnessed it work in a semi-aggressive community) they were with large active fish that can defend themselves and were kept very well fed.

It will most likely eat your lamp eyes once it gets bigger.

Oscar_freak12321
04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
From what I can tell, your original guy was a SAE. If the new guy looks a little different, I'd guess it would be a CAE. Try Craigslist, and also if it comes down to it, try the link in my sig of monster fish rescue.

Scrup
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebindex/saes.htm

Looks like you may have had a "False Siamese algae eater" I just say that because he looks to have a smooth stripe, and his fins have a somewhat yellow tint. You knew him better than me though, so I could very well be mistaken.

annageckos
04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
The first photo doesnt' look like a SAE to me. It looks to have a sucker disc which the SAE do not have. I can't tell for the photo what the second fish may be. The first photo may be of one of the garra species.

Red
04-03-2010, 08:28 PM
The first photo doesnt' look like a SAE to me. It looks to have a sucker disc which the SAE do not have. I can't tell for the photo what the second fish may be. The first photo may be of one of the garra species.

I agree, does not look CAE or SAE, garra species of some sort.

mac
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
With the first pic it dose have the shape of a CAE head. Yet the body dose not match. Could be because it has been stunted in growth in the small tank.
Has it always been in a small tank?

I am with red that it could be a possible Garra, if it has not been stunted. But still hold on to the fact it is not a SAE, and more CAE. Different face coloration ect. But the sucking disk would show either a garra or CAE.

As for the new different fish. Shops always change names. Mostly due to staff not knowing what they are, and miss labeling them. Hence a good idea is to positively ID your fish before purchase.

For me I would try to get rid of it the best you can. I have found going back and telling them that they have miss labeled the fish, and you are not interested in keeping it due to the fact it was not what you were after and that they have mislabel what they sell. Which is miss informing you of your purchase. Wether you know your fish backwards or not. They should not miss label.

mac

FreshwaterFred
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm starting to think my old fish was a CAE. I found this site: http://network.bestfriends.org/groups/friends_of_fish/news/archive/2006/05/08/chinese-algae-eaters-an-undeserved-reputation.aspx which has a picture of a CAE that looks just like my old fish.
http://network.bestfriends.org/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.11.08.59/3943440605081915.jpg
I'm a little confused why he never attacked the other fish...

mac
04-03-2010, 09:39 PM
That is a CAE in your first post in this thread. 100% ID.

Just a fat one that is all.

mac

troy
04-03-2010, 09:55 PM
The first picture looks like a flying fox to me.

mac
04-03-2010, 10:02 PM
The first picture looks like a flying fox to me.

If it were a flying fix, it would have small barbells of its snout. With a under shot sucking mouth. Not to mention a pointed head.

Plus the color patter is a motterly marble on back and back of head, with dark brown blacky line with steady brown greenish grey under it. Same as a CAE.

While a flying fox has a dark top, with no pattern, and a very strait gold band above the black band. Then back to cream ish clear yellow under the black line.

Here some images to clear this up it is a CAE.

Flying fox.http://www.freshwaterhobbyist.com/infopages/images/flyingfox.jpg

CAE.
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/images/chinese-algae-eater-lg.jpg

Hope this helps.

mac

FreshwaterFred
04-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Ya, it was a CAE I guess. Perhaps it did kill some fish, but I never noticed it attacking them. I assumed that when my fish died it was just age.

mac
04-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Ya, it was a CAE I guess. Perhaps it did kill some fish, but I never noticed it attacking them. I assumed that when my fish died it was just age.

What do you mean? You meaning this fish that died the CAE. Or other fish have died before this one?

Most fish get between 2-5 years, and longer depending.

mac

FreshwaterFred
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
I mean that throughout the 5 years i had the original I have had a few fish die on me. I was just speculating that the CAE may have contributed to some of those deaths although I never noticed any aggressive behavior. Shoot! I feel like such a fool for buying this fish. :banghead: I won't buy any more red eyes until I figure out what to do with this guy.

fish00053
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I made the mistake and bought A few Chinese High fin Algae Eaters. Didn't know much about them but found out as they grey they literally attacked and ate fish. Even Placausmus ? are aggressive also. I've done away with all of the algae eaters.

mac
04-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Not sure of the Chinese high fine algae eater.

Hence when buying fish to look up what you want. And research then buy. Saves in the long run.

mac

FreshwaterFred
04-03-2010, 10:53 PM
For now, I think I will print off some material about this fish and bring it into the 'no returns' pet store and try to get them to take it back, even if I can't get my money back I'd feel better about him going to a good home.

mac
04-03-2010, 11:25 PM
For now, I think I will print off some material about this fish and bring it into the 'no returns' pet store and try to get them to take it back, even if I can't get my money back I'd feel better about him going to a good home.

For me I would just simply get some info about the fish of line. Then from the shop. From the staff. Most people will say CAE's are great with other fish. All you need is a few web sites and articles to prove them wrong. Not to mention most books say they are very temperamental.

Another thing is simply state to them that they are not selling algae eaters. Buy Chines Algae eaters. Also use the latin name. And that you did not want that type of fish. That you want a algae eater. Which is normally always a SAE.

Hope that helps.

mac

wolf_eyes
04-04-2010, 12:00 AM
If you want to go for a peaceful algae eater, go with otos or bristlenose plecos. They stay small, do a great job, and won't grow up to be aggressive with other fish (bristle pleco males may be territorial with another male pleco, but this is usually not harmful). I would say go with a bristlenose pleco just because they are easier to feed once the algae is gone. Otos have to be fed vegetables or actual seaweed after algae is gone because they don't do very well on algae wafers alone.

Don't feel too bad on getting the fish. Believe me, we all get that excitement when we see a new and interesting fish in the store. I honesty feel this is the trade's fault. Throwing the words "algae eater" in a fish's common name is very misleading to new buyers. Heck even some pleco species won't touch algae but people will still tell you they will. Just chalk this up as a learning experience to do some research.

Do you have the receipt? If you have a receipt then most places will be forced to take the fish back.If you don't then I would suggest going the route you're taking. Take some proof to the store and tell them the fish is not what you wanted and that you were mislead. If they still won't take it back, are there any other stores in your area? While the store you bought from may not take fish, another store may.

mac
04-04-2010, 12:35 AM
If you want to go for a peaceful algae eater, go with otos or bristlenose plecos. They stay small, do a great job, and won't grow up to be aggressive with other fish (bristle pleco males may be territorial with another male pleco, but this is usually not harmful). I would say go with a bristlenose pleco just because they are easier to feed once the algae is gone. Otos have to be fed vegetables or actual seaweed after algae is gone because they don't do very well on algae wafers alone.

Agree 100%. Though I have found BNs to get quite pushing from time to time. With most other fish. Though they never bother other fish unless it get's in between it and its cave or food.

mac

FreshwaterFred
04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Thank you all very much for your advise and thanks for the recommendation on peaceful algae eaters.

souly
04-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Not all CAE's get aggresive and kill fish. I keep one on my 29g and he's semi agrresive. I've only seen try to chase fish rarley but he ussally keeps to himself int he PVC caves I've made for him. He eats Algea, Cuccumbers and zuccini. I've never cought him eating a fish. When one of my rasboras died and sank to the ground he avoided it and never went to eat it. It really depends on the fish. His entire life he's been in community tanks and I got him when we as less an inch, and nows he's about 5inch. Once I get my 46 setup for FW I'll be moving them all over.

I will say though, a 20 does push it alot....

mac
04-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Yes not all CAE's are aggressive. But on the whole, they tend to be around a 80-90% aggressive at some point in their life. More once they mature.

Good news you have a good one.

mac

souly
04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah from what i've seen with everybody track record with them...I lucked out. hadmine for over a year now and all is well :)

Irish2539
04-04-2010, 11:03 AM
yup its true not all CAE's are overly agressive. I had a 6" one in my 211gal and he didnt bother any of my fish... prob due to size of the tank though.... However when i added my 6" bichir senegalus he instantly chased him around the tank.. I eventually gave the CAE away as he constatly harrassed my Bichir.