PDA

View Full Version : Aponogeton growth

HeatherH
04-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok,took a chance a few weeks ago,bought some Apono bulbs at work and plopped them in the 50. To my shock-they are going nuts and I don't even turn the lights on in the 50 (it is sort of by the window getting some kind of light).

The past 24 hours,I have one shoot that has grown over 13 inches heading for the top-but I don't see a flower,it's just one leaf so far...

Should I snip it off? I can just about watch it reaching further and further towards the top...mind you it's a hex tank,if I keep letting it go it'll be about 2 feet long.

troy
04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't see any reason why you should snip it off.

annageckos
04-03-2010, 08:28 PM
It is probably the same kind I have. It only sends up floating leaves. It is an interesting plant and it doesn't block the light. My fish love to hang out under it.

Dave66
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Apongetons do that; grow like mad and stay beautiful for months, then the leaves start growing smaller and the bulb goes into a rest period for weeks or months, depending on the species. It's an adaptation to waters that evaporate during the dry season in the climes the plants are originally from.

Many of the Apono bulbs are hybrids nowadays, but if you can get a photo of the leaf or leaves, I can probably tell you what species you have.

Dave

HeatherH
04-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Actually it stopped about 7 inches or so from the top of the water yesterday so I just let it be. I have another bulb sending up shoots now,I'm surprised they grew at all. I thought I would have a black thumb with aquatic plants.

Many of the Apono bulbs are hybrids nowadays, but if you can get a photo of the leaf or leaves, I can probably tell you what species you have.

Dave

Ok,I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Thanks!

HeatherH
04-05-2010, 04:12 AM
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Heather_Sweetness/aponogeton2.jpg

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Heather_Sweetness/aponogeton1.jpg

The white cloud is insisting on presenting the aponogeton to you and asks you ignore the ugly plastic plants in the backround. :hmm3grin2orange: