PDA

View Full Version : Setup question

souly
04-03-2010, 12:11 AM
My 46g bowfront tank, has no real "hood" on it. I have the light strip on top, which, and a small cover for the front of lid, but no actual glass or backing. I want to get a twin tube light strip for this tank because its going to be planted. I wanted to know if I should just no bother looking all over the internet to try and find a twin tube Bow Front cover and just get a light strip that can fit over it with out a glass top.

sheamurai
04-03-2010, 01:11 AM
You don't really need a lid. It's only required if you plan on getting fish that are known for jumping, and also helps to minimize evaporation.
Getting a peice of glass cut to fit is easier, and likely cheaper, than trying to find the stock lid for sale somewhere.
Another option is just to get some eggcrate and cut it to fit.

souly
04-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Doing water changes everyweek like I do doesn't really leave much for evaparation in my tank....I was more so worried about heating the water to much? I've left my tank hood off for a good couple of hours before and had no issues with jumping....

On a side note...are rasbora and tetras known to jump out of tanks?

mac
04-04-2010, 05:35 AM
For me I would get a cover. They are great to keep dust out of the tank. And fish in.

For me I have had heaps of Rasboras and Tetras jump. More depending on the species.

To save time I would just get a glass hood cut to fit, with access to the tank made into the plan, and get the twin light tube. Save time and money.

mac

jimw/oscar
04-04-2010, 06:18 AM
just make sure the lighting can't fall into the tank.