PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Betta's to veggies?

Zilla
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I tossed a couple chunks of cucumber into the 55 for the sea cows, I mean Gouramis and my Geo is having fun with them. He picks them up, spits them out, rolls them around. LOL He has never done that before but I think it was because I was using a clip. Even one of the Bosies went over to have a taste which was completely unexpected.

Seeing how everybody is feeling daring in the 55, what is the best way to introduce a Betta to veggies? And should it turn into a flaring episode, do I leave it in there or take it out?

I have my doubts that it will turn into that as today he was being a total pain in the butt. The Maylasian driftwood I ordered came in and post boiling and all of that, he wouldn't move when I tried to put it in the tank. I had to touch his tail so he'd get out of the way and even then, he didn't go far.

HorrorShowRot
04-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Have you tried holding it in front of em with tweezers? and smaller chunks?

Zilla
04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
No, I haven't tried anything yet.

There was a small piece of plant floating around in his tank on Monday and he got all bent out of shape until he realised it wasn't a big deal.

He's in a filtered / heated 20 gallon all by himself, so it isn't as if he was being forced to having to deal with the floating green bit that he didn't like. He will come to the glass if there is something in front of it though.

Irish2539
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
u should try making a mix of fish/veg. I mixed cod, peas, banana, garlic and shrimp together and my betta eats it. My Betta is also in 20gal,,, however he has to share it with a bunch of endlers/ guppies.

VoidParadigm
04-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Bettas are carnivores. The only time they should actually eat veggies regularly is when you starve them.

wolf_eyes
04-03-2010, 02:42 AM
I fed my bettas blanched peas before (peas wil the shells off of them) to help with their digestion. Some will eat it as it falls, some will not and will pick at them when they're on the substrate. I've never had much problem with them eating peas every now and then

troy
04-03-2010, 03:17 AM
The whole betta's eating veggies thing has made me rather confused lately. If they are carnivore's why would they eat veggies? I have some other carnivorous fish and they just leave veggies alone. My female betta eats veggies just about every time I put them in the tank. She once flared one time while eating chinese cabbage and has any had my amano shrimp back away from it. She also catches the banana slice while it's sinking. As far as I know, I don't starve my betta. :hmm3grin2orange:

Irish2539
04-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Bettas are carnivores. The only time they should actually eat veggies regularly is when you starve them.

Betta's have a much shorter alimentary track, which means they are geared towards meaty foods... im sure there is no harm in feeding them vegi's now and again. I only feed the mix once or twice a week. blood worms ect... and/or high protein flakes/ pellets shud be stable diet... im sure u guys know that anyways :) ^^.

Wild Turkey
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Bettas mostly eat insect and insect larvae in the wild. However, feeding only meaty foods is a good way to give them internal parasites and/or digestive problems.

HorrorShowRot
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I fed them peas to help clear constipation.

annageckos
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Betta are carniverous, which means that they have a shorter digestive system to handle protiens and do not have the emzynes need to break down plant matter. You can feed them veggies, but it is not needed. In the wild they eat a lot of insects which have an exoskeleton. This acts as fiber, like veggies do to omnivores/herbivores.

Zilla
04-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm not trying to convert him into something that he's not, but I do feel that if leafy greens or some other veggie is made available and he enjoys it, it can't do any harm. I'd rather have him fresh stuff than something that comes from a jar. Except for my cats, all the other animals in this house get veggies and I don't treat the fish any different.

I did have a cat a couple of years ago ( he died in his sleep) that liked green beans and carrots. He also had a thing for raisins, but those are toxic to cats and dogs, so I had to keep the raisins out of his diet.