PDA

View Full Version : breeding minnows

crazyhorse357
04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am interested in breeding minnows to use for fishing, I live so far away from a bait shop and fish close to home, so I was wondering if any of you could share some information & knowledge with me.
Many thanks,
Frank aka crazyhorse357

troy
04-02-2010, 03:34 PM
What is the scientific name for the minnows you want to breed?

Northernguy
04-02-2010, 03:56 PM
What area do you live in?
I get minnows galore with just a minnow trap in the lake.I just put a few small pieces of bread in it and and wait.It doesn't take long to get a lot of minnows and crayfish!lol

Are you planning on getting into the business of selling bait?

Amazon
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
What kind of minnows? Shiners aer a pain to breed but most livebearers like gambusia are easy. But it is so much easier jsut to trap them, it saves a lot of time and money. As said before

good Luck!

crazyhorse357
04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I have no idea what the scientific name is for the minnows that I want to breed, they are silver and shiney, like minnows you would buy in a bait shop.
No, I have no intention of breeding them to sell just to introduce them to the sport of fishing. So, tell me more about trapping them, if that will save me time and money.
Thanks to all that replied,
Frank

Northernguy
04-02-2010, 11:55 PM
You can buy a minnow trap at any store that sells fishing supplies.

http://www.tackle-factory.com/catalog/g40.jpg

When you get to a good lake bait it with bread and toss it in.Make sure you have a rope tied to it.
If you are in Ontario there are laws about getting the minnows and using them in the same lake.The Ministry does not them released in a different lake.
I only buy minnows only when I forget my trap.They are too easy to get.
Depending on the lake I can trap several dozen in about an hour.

Amazon
04-03-2010, 02:56 AM
What he said^

hot dog chunks work prety good too for minnow bait.

Northernguy
04-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Yup! Hot dogs work great too! lol
Just throw it in with the bun!:hmm3grin2orange: Hold the ketchup,mustard and anything else you like on it!:ssuprised:

crazyhorse357
04-03-2010, 02:33 PM
What area do you live in?
I get minnows galore with just a minnow trap in the lake.I just put a few small pieces of bread in it and and wait.It doesn't take long to get a lot of minnows and crayfish!lol

Are you planning on getting into the business of selling bait?

Thanks for the pix of the minnow trap, never seen one before, and I live in Philipp, Mississippi.
Thanks to all you guys for the information and I will fill out personal information today. Thanks again,
Frank

Amazon
04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Hi, i live pretty close to you. You should be able to find the traps anywhere around bait shops. bass pro shops in Denham Springs, LA has every trap you can think of.

Piscine
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm from the Shreveport/Natchitoches area.

crazyhorse357
04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Not exactly rock chunking distance, but closer than most, LOL, I've ordered a Bass Pro shop catalog and I feel relatively sure there will be one in there I can order.
Thanks

Piscine
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Any bait shop in your area should have them, IMO.

crazyhorse357
04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
My wife was not crazy about my idea to breed minnows, she said it would stink the house up. Would it stink the house up any worse than a freshwater aquarium?

Piscine
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
My wife was not crazy about my idea to breed minnows, she said it would stink the house up. Would it stink the house up any worse than a freshwater aquarium?

It shouldn't, unless you do not care for it as you should.. I still think that breeding minnows would take more effort than just buying a trap and tossing it in the river (or lake, pond, stream, whatever) for an hour.

crazyhorse357
04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
That's kinda what I thoght, a fish is a fish is a fish, I more than likely get a trap although, I would have liked trying to breed them.

UncleWillie
04-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Well, I'm with just about everyone else. It is cheaper in the long run to just either buy bait for each fishing trip, or catch your own and only hold them until you need them for fishing. That way you can have a fairly bare tank that is easy for cleaning and can be put somewhere out of site.

In some areas there are issues with live bait and restrictions on species. That being said, it's a good idea to trap in/near the areas you will be fishing.

If you are die-hard about breeding, and it is legal in MS, fathead minnows are the fastest, easiest bait (why else are they sold as feeders in LFSs? haha). But you must consider time and expenses for raising the fry up to a fishable size. Like mentioned, I'd just go trapping and hold the fish temporarily until you run out.

BTW, I think dry dogfood is a jam-up bait for minnow traps.