PDA

View Full Version : Rainbows & Shrimp?

geo.2tired
04-02-2010, 03:17 AM
I want to get some Rainbows soon but I finally have some nice shrimp going, will rainbows mess with them? or will I need to move the shrimp?

Brhino
04-02-2010, 03:42 AM
what kind of shrimp? And, did you have a particular species of rainbow fish in mind?

geo.2tired
04-02-2010, 03:53 AM
They are Crystal Red, and Ghost shrimp..I'm not sure on the type of bows yet,I like the Boseman(?) (not sure if I spelled that right.)

Jacko
04-02-2010, 04:41 AM
What size tank? Heavily planted?

I wouldn't mix boesmani or any rainbow that gets bigger than 3 inches with shrimp, I'd look at either Praecox, Mucholochi (spelling?) or the various blue eyes species... all should be safe with shrimp IME

korith
04-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Very few fish are safe to keep with shrimp. So really taking your chance with them in the tank. With enough cover some should be able to survive, but the little ones will end up as food more than likely.

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Bows will eat the shrimp. I'd set the shrimp up to their own little shrimp tank. I've even seen pictures of bows eating neons.

Zilla
04-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I've never tried it, but since all of mine thought my cories were food that they couldn't catch, I'm guessing that shrimp wouldn't have much of a chance.

Ironically, mine will snub their noses at anything that comes in the form of leafy greens or veggies. I understand that in the wild they eat lots of various proteins, but they act like they have a poop placed under their nose if I put cucumber or kale in the tank. LOL

geo.2tired
04-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Thanks to all for the replies.. It is a 55 gal. Moderate on the plants, going to be on the heavy side, but not there yet.. I think I will go with Lady Hobbs' suggestion and move the shrimp over to another tank...My shrimp are really cool to watch, always eating, and cleaning..Thanks again