PDA

View Full Version : New Heater Needed

tori.lock
04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
The mini heater I had in my tank broke and so I'm in the market for another one. Before I bought one I wanted to hear from your guys to see what sort of input you had. It's a 3g tank, so I need a pretty small heater.

Sarkazmo
04-02-2010, 08:08 AM
I have four of the Tetra Submersible 50W and love them. They're 5"3/4" long so they'll fit most tanks. They aren't adjustable as they're set to 78F and stay there via an electronic thermostat. They're small, effective, and inexpensive.

EDIT: I don't recommend the Hydor heating pad style heaters, btw. They do not have a thermostat, they're just on ALL the time. So as the room heats and cools so does the tank. The Tetra heater keeps it right at 78F unless the room's warmer.

Sark

tori.lock
04-02-2010, 08:42 AM
A 50W seems a little excessive. It seems most of the smaller heaters are 10-15W. But I guess if it's gauged to stay at 78 then it doesn't really matter.

EmmanuelJB
04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't recomend the hydro mini pad heaters either, because of the same as Sharkazmo. When I had small tanks I thought that the tetra heater was a good heater, I actually still have one in my 10 gallon and it works great. Marineland also makes a heater for smaller tanks. Usaully marineland makes a good heater too (probably better than tetra).

Sarkazmo
04-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I'd agree that the Marineland is probably a better heater but it is quite a bit more expensive. I got these four from BigAl's for like $12.99 each and I must say that for that price I've VERY happy with them. They're filled with what looks like gray sand so the heat is dispersed pretty evenly over the whole surface of the heater so they don't burn like other heaters. My partner's Betta, Lucky, who is a special needs fish, lays on it. Never a mark on him.

Sark

tori.lock
04-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks. I'll look into both of those. On Amazon the Hydro heating pad, it's the one I had that just broke on me, had great reviews, and the Tetra one had horrible reviews, which was probably why I ended up getting the Hydro brand.