PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please!!!

hybridguy
04-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I have recently had a problem with ick. i have never had this problem before. I have lost 12 clown loaches and 5 tropheus ikolas. My question is in the tanks that these fish were in, they r no longer n now, the ick parasite o
is still alive in the tank, should i drain the tank and clean it good or medicate the tank with ick meds and crank the heat up and kill it or is there something else? Please help. thanks Mike:22: :scry:

Northernguy
04-01-2010, 07:51 PM
If the fish are all gone then just crank up the heat.No meds are needed but you will lose your cycle without fish or adding a source of ammonia.

hybridguy
04-01-2010, 08:28 PM
If the temp is above 80 i thought ick couldnt survive. All my tanks are 81.4 degrees

hybridguy
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
If the temp is above 80 i thought ick couldnt survive. All my tanks are 81.4 degrees
Oh and how long will it take for the ick to die off

hybridguy
04-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for ur help northernguy

Northernguy
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
At 77* it takes a week to die off.
Not sure with no fish and 81* but I would still give it a week before adding fish to it.
Make sure you lower the temp first before reintroducing fish.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/ich-explained.php

toddnbecka
04-02-2010, 04:18 AM
The temp needs to be raised to 86 to kill Ich, lower will simply speed up the life cycle and get it off the fish faster. Plain old salt (1 tsp/gallon) will kill the free-swimming stage, or a short dip in a very strong salt solution when its encysted on the fish. The free-swimming stage will die in a week w/out any treatment if it doesn't find a fish to attach to.
I just got rid of it in my 75, came along with my new red severums. Heat and salt did the job nicely, no losses, and the temp was lowered back to 78 last night.

hybridguy
04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
The temp needs to be raised to 86 to kill Ich, lower will simply speed up the life cycle and get it off the fish faster. Plain old salt (1 tsp/gallon) will kill the free-swimming stage, or a short dip in a very strong salt solution when its encysted on the fish. The free-swimming stage will die in a week w/out any treatment if it doesn't find a fish to attach to.
I just got rid of it in my 75, came along with my new red severums. Heat and salt did the job nicely, no losses, and the temp was lowered back to 78 last night.

Thanks, i think i will raise the temp to 86 and leave the tank fishless for a week. All that is n it now is a pleco, he seems to b fine. I guess he should b removed.

Northernguy
04-02-2010, 02:49 PM
No fish means fishless!
Plecos and salt are not a good mix!

If he is in the tank still then you may have to treat him as well for ich.

toddnbecka
04-02-2010, 04:31 PM
The BN in the 75 didn't seem to be bothered by the salt or heat. I didn't see any Ich on them either, though they do tend to stay out of sight.

hybridguy
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM
No fish means fishless!
Plecos and salt are not a good mix!

If he is in the tank still then you may have to treat him as well for ich.

i didnt realize at the time i posted that the pleco was n the tank. i have so many tanks running sometimes i forget where the little plecos r.i have got the tank at 88 degrees and did a salt treatment.How long can the ick live at 88 degrees?

toddnbecka
04-03-2010, 03:38 AM
The temp should kill the free-swimming parasite pretty quickly, so will the salt for that matter. I'd give it 48 hours to be on the safe side, then lower the temp and do a partial to lower the salt content.