PDA

View Full Version : How do I help this little guy?!?

kimberly0418
05-15-2007, 09:01 AM
I made a big mistake putting a dwarf and gold gourami together. The guy at Petsmart said they'd do fine together. I wish I had researched it first. I won't make that mistake again! Anyway, the gold was attacking the dwarf. He nipped off part of his tail and bottom fins. To get away from the gold, the dwarf went inside a castle we have in our tank and got stuck. We had to break part of the castle to get him out. He was severely damaged by the castle, moreso than by the gold (which was taken back to the pet store). That was 3 days ago. He seems to be doing okay...been eating a little, but mainly just hiding/resting on a rock. But he looks horrible. His wounds formed a greyish layer over it...almost like a scab...which fell off today.

My questions are should we continue to try to save him or go ahead and euthanize? If he is able to be saved, is there anything we can do to help his wounds heal quicker? Is there a chance he could get infected and contaminate the water, thus killing the 5 tetras we have in the tank with him?

I researched euthanizing fish today, and we were prepared to do it tonight, but at the last minute (literally when we had the net in the water) he showed so much spunk we just didn't have the heart. Are we doing him more harm than good?

Opinions are appreciated. I've enclosed the best picture I could get. Thanks!

nanaglen2001
05-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Hooo poor chap, he looks awful.

But if this little guy still has a will to live in him, I would give it a try.

Seperate tank, very clean water (including a big change everyday) antiseptic medication, no feeding for a few days. Maybe a kind of hiding place for that little fellow in this tank too. And then of course a good dose of air in the water (man I dont know the english word fort those stones out of wich those airbubbles come, sorry)

Just keep a very close eye on him, any kind of bacteria or fungus can kill him now.

If he does a bit better in a few days, give him a bit of his favourite food, keep on medicating him, and still those big waterchanges.

He really looks awful, but very often even ugly looking wounds heal off very nicely and quickly.

crackatinny
05-15-2007, 10:51 AM
(man I dont know the english word fort those stones out of wich those airbubbles come, sorry)

They are just called airstones.

nanaglen2001
05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Hmmm I guess I just think way too complicated...:hmm3grin2orange:

What I wanted to say, that the fish needs clean water with lots of oxygene.

kimmers318
05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Suggestions for use on medicating.....I personally would try melafix/pimafix, either a combo of both or either one, depending on how you see the situation.
Both are all natural products, melafix is antibacterial for open red sores, fin and tail rot, and open body wounds. The pimafix is antifungal for fungus/cottony growth, mouth and body fungus, reddening of fins and body. I have had a gourami get stuck behind a stick on cave who tore himself up. I simply used the melafix, while treating him in a separate tank and he was fine after.
Do remember to keep water clean and aerated, clean water can go along way towards helping a fish heal themselves.
Good luck.

sergo
05-15-2007, 12:43 PM
man he looks beat up pretty bad. i lost 2 blue gouramis a couple of weeks ago to something that was basically eating a hole in their head. i tried for 2 weeks to get rid of it but i could not and they all but died so i had to put them out of their misery. good luck!

cocoa_pleco
05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Thats what killed my clown knife. The severum picked on him so bad he couldnt make it

kimberly0418
05-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all the fast responses! I bought some melafix today and put him in his own tank. He seems quite determined, so we'll see what happens. I'll update his progress soon. Thanks again!

Kim

nanaglen2001
05-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Fish are fighters, and when he seems to be determined, he stands a good chance.

You will see, his "exile" will help him a lot too, cause he got rid of a lot of stress.