PDA

View Full Version : What is it with Anubias?

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2010, 11:30 PM
I know it's supposed to be slow growing but really........I've had mine for over 2 years and it hasn't even attached to the log yet. About every 2 months I have to pull it from the tank and treat for BBA. I've gotten a few new leaves but am really tired of looking at the fishing line and seeing this thing do nothing.

What's the trick?

Lab_Rat
04-01-2010, 12:03 AM
You probably need to dose some iron in the water column. Anubias need iron and they extract it from the water as they are not rooted in substrate. Without iron they don't grow well. Mine produce new leaves at least weekly, some produce a couple leaves a week. Too bad my fish tear off the leaves.

smaug
04-01-2010, 12:06 AM
You probably need to dose some iron in the water column. Anubias need iron and they extract it from the water as they are not rooted in substrate. Without iron they don't grow well. Mine produce new leaves at least weekly, some produce a couple leaves a week. Too bad my fish tear off the leaves.
Thats the key.Mine grow great because if my waters naturally high iron.

Sarkazmo
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
It hates you Hobbs and is not growing out of spite! :P

I only have trouble with them if I try to plant them. Attached to something and they grow great. I do dose Iron as well as Excel, Flourish, and Trace.

Sark

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks Lab. I will start dosing the iron and see what happens. Since I never dose iron, I suspect that's the reason they are so puny.

kennedpa
04-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Just use a fert that has iron in it.. I use Ferreal + iron and my Anubia is outta control.

bigbad-ratman
04-01-2010, 12:51 AM
I have to agree with the: "It hates you," theory. I have had mine for 3 months (low light setup) and it is doing great!

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Just use a fert that has iron in it.. I use Ferreal + iron and my Anubia is outta control.

I did check my liquid ferts and it does contain iron so I will just start dosing again. I've not been dosing with anything for some time and perhaps a shot of something good is needed. I also think I may need to put it in a darker area of the tank. It also gets too much light.

Zilla
04-01-2010, 03:01 AM

I have a few Anubias coming to me. From all that I've read, it's considered the norm for them to sprout a new leaf once a week.

Is this for Anubias in general or some of them? I have a Nana and a Narrow Leaf Nana coming.

I know they can be gatherers of algae so I've got FrogBit coming as well. I'm hoping the FrogBit will counter act the snails pace growth of the Anubias.

Plant Man
04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Lab. I will start dosing the iron and see what happens. Since I never dose iron, I suspect that's the reason they are so puny.

What are your Co2 numbers, how much and how often do you do water changes?