PDA

View Full Version : New plant suggestions

wlepse
03-31-2010, 10:48 PM
I just received an order of plants and I am looking for a few suggestions on what to do next. I put them in a bucket of tank water with a gro bulb over them that is hooked up to the same timer as the main tank. From what I have read it is a good idea to quarantine them for at least 4 days since ich has a four day life cycle. So without a fish in that time period it dies out. But I also noticed a few snails which was expected but then was wondering if they can continue the life cylce of ich?? Also I will want to treat the plants for snails prior to adding and am wondering what is the best method, especially if the plants range from potted to stem. I am hesitant to use bleach even though I think it might be the most effective on snails and eggs because I have also heard it can destroy some stem plants and I am concerned the potted plants may hold too much chlorine. The potasium permanganate and alum dips seem good but what is recommended for a range of plants.

In case it matters I have some potted dwarf swords, potted dwarf baby tears, hornwort, ambulia, potted crypts and sags.

smaug
04-01-2010, 12:09 AM
There wont be any ich on the plants moreso then already exists in your tank.The snails wont be harmed by a quarantine period so will still end up in your tank.A mild 20/1 bleach dip will solve the issues,just dont dip the roots.

wlepse
04-01-2010, 12:16 AM
So you would use bleach over the other methods even on more delicate stem plants? I have heard some say they just fall apart. Honeslty I was leaning towards alum dip since it seemed the safest all around.

smaug
04-01-2010, 12:23 AM
I have used the mild bleach dip with cabomba,diandra,ludwigia with no ill affects.If I would have had the other methods available to me at the time I would have tried them first,that being said,I have found the 20-1 bleach dip to be safe.I did rinse them well in a mild stream of clean water afterward.

wlepse
04-01-2010, 12:40 AM
How long did you leave it in...like two minutes? Is that long enough to kill smails and their eggs? Not sure if this was the article I read but this (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php) one talks about qt-ing plants for 5-7 days since one part of the ich cycle will attach itself to the plants.

wlepse
04-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Checked our bleach last night and noticed it is scented...I am assuming this would be a bad idea but not sure since teh bleach is bad for the tank inhabitants so I will be doing an extensive rinse. Just not sure if this is a problem or if I need to buy straight up bleach.

Sarkazmo
04-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Straight bleach is best. You don't want to complicate matters. I've had some luck with bleaching but I tend to leave them in too long.

Sark

wlepse
04-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Since my main concern is snails and there eggs would the alum dip be better? Seems like it is much easier on the plants from what I have read.

smaug
04-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Straight bleach is best. You don't want to complicate matters. I've had some luck with bleaching but I tend to leave them in too long.

Sark
Straight bleach?As in right out of the bottle,really?20-1 can be a bit iffy if left in more then 10 seconds or so.

wlepse
04-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Straight bleach?As in right out of the bottle,really?20-1 can be a bit iffy if left in more then 10 seconds or so.
I believe he wass just clarifying that it should be regular old bleach not the mountain fresh or what ever the hell my wife bought, not to use it full strength.

geowashlaw
04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
yo-yo loaches will do the job naturally too ... three of them devoured the snails in my 90g tank in about two days and it was overrun ... they are fun little guys to watch too!