PDA

View Full Version : Pleco eating habits

Cliff
03-31-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a question about pleco behavior that seams off to me

I have two BN plecos in my 55 gallon. There still really young, both about 1.5 to 2Ē long. One of them loves his veggies and eats the wafers and pellets I put in the tank for him. I rarely see him eating algae. The second pleco is the opposite, I seldom see him eating the food I put in the tank and he rarely eats any of the veggies either. The second pleco is always cleaning the tank and eating algae.

Both seam active and look healthy.

Iím worried about the second pleco not getting a balanced enough diet. I canít see any signs of disease in him or any type of injury

Is this normal ???

Tank parameters:
Temp 78.5 F
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5
PH = 7.6

Northernguy
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Its very normal.I wouldn't worry that much right now.I think it will eat food and the other will have some algae when they are ready.
Are you sure it doesn't eat any food at night? Thats the best time to feed a pleco.

Cliff
03-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Its very normal.I wouldn't worry that much right now.I think it will eat food and the other will have some algae when they are ready.
Are you sure it doesn't eat any food at night? Thats the best time to feed a pleco.

He could be eating at night. I usally put the food in about 10 minutes before lights out. As it's hitting the bottom of the tank, the first little guy is starting to eat it. I got up in the middle of the night a few times with a flash light but only seen the first pleco eating. The second guy could just be wating for me to leave before eating.

I could be worrying over nothing.

Northernguy
03-31-2010, 11:19 PM
You may be worrying for nothing.
You should be able to see the difference by comparing the two.
Watch it for a sunken stomach.Its a good way to tell if its eating or not.

Cliff
03-31-2010, 11:29 PM
I've seen no signs of a sunken stomach.

I'll keep an eye on him

Thanks Northernguy

Brhino
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
I have a BN Pleco about the size of yours. He hangs out on his driftwood or scoots over the glass. I've tried feeding him zucchini, cucumber, lettuce, and broccoli. He's eaten cucumber once, and today he's wiggling around the broccoli but he hasn't removed any visible amount. I worry about him eating enough, but he's a champion pooper, so I guess he's doing okay.

I think BN Plecos have a personal diet that varies a lot from fish to fish. I've seen a lot of different people talking about how their BN eats one thing but totally ignores another, even if it's something supposedly popular with them.

Cliff
04-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks Brhino

I'm starting to see what your mean. I never ran into this before so it had me a little concerned.

Crispy
04-01-2010, 10:52 AM
They should be fine.

Scrup
04-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Bellies are a great indicator of pleco eating habits. Any catfish for that matter. Most catfish should have plump bellies. If its skinny or sunked, not eating, if hes a tubby-tub, your good.

Scrup
04-01-2010, 05:49 PM
sunked? what is sunked?

sunken.....

Cliff
04-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys.

No signs of a sunked or sunken tummy yet :hmm3grin2orange:

cane
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
I have a pleco I have had about a year. He was 1 inch when I got him and now over 4 inches. I have never given him any food, not once. He just eats the algae in the tank and is doing very well.

Cliff
04-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I have a pleco I have had about a year. He was 1 inch when I got him and now over 4 inches. I have never given him any food, not once. He just eats the algae in the tank and is doing very well.

Iíve heard of other people not feeding plecos and they seamed to do alright. The every first pleco I ever had was a common pleco. This was also in my first tank I had over 12 years ago now. I was told by a guy in a LFS that I shouldnít feed him to keep him cleaning the algae in the tank. For four years he lived off of algae and uneaten food that sank in the tank. From what Iíve been able to tell from my research, this pleco really beat the odds by having what seamed to be a long, healthy, and happy life.

Would like to recommend that you spend a little bit of time and research a little bit about your pleco. Hereís why I would suggest this:

It wasnít until I set up my fourth tank (after another long move) that I started to learn about plecos ,enough though I had them in my tanks for years by then. I had a bristle nose pleco for about 1 year when I started to feed him algae and sinking pellets. After about 2 months I couldnít believe the difference it made in his behaviour. He was 10X more active than before. He even started to clean the tank more often and in the middle of the day as well.

It sounds like your guy is doing well, just a suggestion to help make sure he stays that way.