PDA

View Full Version : New legislation could be devastating for the aquarium industry (Re: SPS)

labnjab
03-31-2010, 02:33 PM
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/frag-no-more-endangered-species-proposal-threatens-marine-aquaculture

jay2487
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
So a marine biologist says it will do absolutely nothing for the actual population.
I would just about bet that while the bureaucracy in charge is playing it like no one will be able to collect and raise these types of corals, in all actuality you will be forced to get licenced to own them or collect them so just one more way to tax us under the guidelines of regulation. What a joke

robflanker
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
This is where this article and its comments started to lose credibility for me;

"So far only a handful of objections to the petition have been filed, and the deadline is April 12th. We need industry leaders and, especially, people with Ph.D.s attached to their names to make themselves heard."
Not sure I can make a judgement on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing till i've fully heard the reasoning behind the proposed ban and the proponents perceived impact of the ban on both nature and then hobby.

labnjab
03-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Aqua culturing helps the population. The more you raise in tank the less people harvest in the wild. All of my coral has been aqua cultured, purchased from other reefers.

coachfraley
03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
I can't even think of the last time I purchased a wild harvest coral. Buying from fellow reefers is SO much cheaper.