PDA

View Full Version : Thinking off getting a Betta

lmgiles88
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Betta and had a couple of queries.

I'm 99.99% certain I cannot have him in my community tank. Mainly because of the gourami. Can someone confirm? (current stocking is 1 dwarf gourami, 2 mollies, 4 platys, 2 guppies, 5 zebra danios and 2 yoyo loaches.

If the answer is what I believe, then what tank size should I be looking at for an 1 betta?

Finally, if I were to put guppy fry in there with him, would he eat them or would they survive?

Many Thanks In Advance!

Luke

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
You are quite correct, a Betta in with your Gourami would be a bad idea. Personally I would suggest at least a 3gal tank that is heated and filtered for a single betta with no tankmates. As for the Guppy fry, it's a toss up, he may eat them or he may not.

Irish2539
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Betta's dont have to be kept in small tanks! ;) I keep my betta with guppy fry and iv never seen him eat any.... my tank is heavily planted though so the fry have alot of cover... I have loads of em so i dont rly mind of he gobbles up one or 2 :)

wolf_eyes
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Both bettas and gouramis are labyrinth fish, they will fight for the top part of the aquarium. Sometimes people have it work but it is not recommended to try it since both are territorial fish. I would recommend a 2-3 gallon tank but if you want to put guppy fry in there I would suggest at least a 5 gallon. Some bettas will go after anything in their tank, and other won't. Since guppy fry are so small though, my bet would be you're going to have some eaten though.

lmgiles88
03-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Ok thanks guys, thats what I thought regarding the gourami. He can be a bit "full-on" with some of the others at the moment so the betta would probably be carnage.

OK so new tank it is. Looking at a couple of basic tanks at the moment. Ranging from about 3 to 7 gallons. Some plastic, some glass. Will then pick up a mini heater and filter depend on whats out there.

Gonna get some plants in there, that'll improve the survival rate of the fry right? Any plants in particular ideal?

Irish2539
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
for a small tank maybe pygmy sword plants,,, Anacharis... and some Java moss for fry to hide in... all pretty easy to grow

rich311k
03-31-2010, 02:09 PM
A ten gallon, a couple of screw in CF bulbs. Plant it with vals and moss. The betta will love it, the plants will be low maintenance and it will make a nice display.

lmgiles88
03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Cheers rich.

What are CF bulbs though?

Z Fish Man
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Cheers rich.

What are CF bulbs though?

Compact Fluorescent. You can get daylight spectrum ones at home depot for the plants as they put out a lot of wattage at the proper spectrum.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgc/R-100687001/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053