PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Get Your Bettas?

tori.lock
03-30-2010, 11:20 PM
I've been curious for a while now what the norm is for where people typically get their bettas. Both of mine have been from Petsmart, which I have mixed feelings about. Part of me says that I shouldn't be supporting the way they care for the bettas, but another part of me says that as an educated betta owner it's my responsibility to rescue whatever I can. Unfortunately they're not the healthiest of fish so that's a problem which has tempted to to turn to breeders.

So share your betta buying experiences, from local mom and pop fish stores, to big chains, to online breeders or maybe a breeder that lives near you.

troy
03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
I bought my female betta from Petco last summer. I have yet to see male bettas in something bigger than a betta bowl or the little containers they have at Petco and Petsmart, but my lfs keeps female bettas in a normal sized tank. I'd rather save a betta than boycott the store and let the betta suffer.

korith
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
My first betta was from a local fish store. The second one was given to me by someone who moved away. I will be getting a nice crowntail one from a local breeder, they are having a small show for bettas in mid april. I didn't even know a local betta fish club existed, till someone in my regular fish club mentioned it. I had been considering getting one from aquabid, just to get a nice show quality betta.

HeatherB
03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
I have gotten most all of my bettas from Walmart, Petsmart, Petco etc. My mom's betta, I got from a LFS- and he is beautiful. To top it off, he has already built a bubblenest, something I have never seen my males do in my last 2 years of keeping fish! He seems very happy. I am thinking it is because they have someone that breeds them and sells them the fry, so he hasn't been shipped in? IDK but he is one great guy! Very personable too!

octoxpuss
03-31-2010, 01:28 AM
I usually get my betta fish from a petco or petsmart, surprisingly they are very healthy and well kept. I also got one for my grandparents a while back from walmart and it is still alive and doing great.

EmmanuelJB
03-31-2010, 01:36 AM
I get all of my bettas from PETCO. They tend to be pretty healthy and well taken care of there (They even put alot of them in with the rest of the tanks, at the petco I go to). Plus PETCO's seem to have a ton of different types that are rare to find anywhere else.

Sarkazmo
03-31-2010, 03:45 AM
One from the LFS, four came from Wal-Mart, four female betta and two males from Pet Supplies Plus, the two latest males are from Petco, and one female that I can't remember where I got her from.

Me and my partner have seven left, only one of which is female.

Sark

Rhaethe
03-31-2010, 04:14 AM
... they are having a small show for bettas in mid april. I didn't even know a local betta fish club existed, till someone in my regular fish club mentioned it.

Oh reallllly? Pass me the info please! :ssmile:

wolf_eyes
03-31-2010, 05:04 AM
Let's see.... Most of my fish were from petco, but I've gotten one from petland and another from*coughcough wallmart coughcough*.

My most recent betta was from a local store. They had a wall of bettas and I noticed some were priced more than others. I took a look and found this beautiful halfmoon dragon. Another store was also selling dragon bettas but they're 45 minutes away. The local stores are a little random though. It seems that either all the stores get really good bettas in at the same time or none of them have any that are above par.

I tend to find petco sells good bettas and have some of the more fancier tail breeds. Some lfs have good bettas too, but it's hit or miss.

Sarkazmo
03-31-2010, 06:30 AM
I'd love to get a couple Betta from Asia or from BettySplendens.com it's just with shipping you can expect to pay at least $45-50 for just ONE Betta. If you get more the shipping's not so bad but you could easily drop $100 on 3-4 Betta.

Sark

korith
03-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Oh reallllly? Pass me the info please! :ssmile:

Are you sure you want to get caught up in another club/addiction? I don't know much about it yet. Trying to get info on how many are in the club and how
large it is. Will let you know once I find out.

http://www.georgiabettabreeders.com/show.html
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GeorgiaBettaholics/

Spartanhockey89
03-31-2010, 02:06 PM
All of mine are from the LFS, but I'd really like to get one straight from Asia or a professional breeder, for a show quality one you almost have too.

tori.lock
03-31-2010, 06:44 PM
I feel much less guilty about indulging in the Petco/Petsmart betta business. The Petsmart here is hit or miss with the health/quality of the fish. The first time I went it was hard to pick a fish because they were all so lively and bright, another time I went to just look at what they had it would have been hard to choose one because they were all so sluggish and faded. When I went to get Witkin most of them seemed pretty active, so I was again hard pressed for which to choose. I suppose that chain pet stores will continue to get my betta business.

HorrorShowRot
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Got my first ones off aquabid Ended up getting them for free because he was nipping his own fins shipping included. Fixed him up in about a week and have been having amazing looking fry since then:)

tori.lock
03-31-2010, 11:03 PM
That's some pretty good luck.

A bit off topic, but how do you manage to fix self fin nipping?

wolf_eyes
03-31-2010, 11:21 PM
That's some pretty good luck.

A bit off topic, but how do you manage to fix self fin nipping?
Sometimes this is an act of frustration. You see this a lot in the bigger parrots where they will pick their own feathers out because they are bored. A bigger tank or some decorations usually help this in bettas. You can also give them a ping pong ball or just interact with them to stop them from nipping their own fins.

Hawkshadow123
04-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I get my bettas from PetLand and PetCo. PetCo has really cool bettas, different finnages! I also like PetLand because their bettas seem more lively than I've seen at other stores (even though they only sell males and only veiltails and crown tails).

Spartanhockey89
04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Got my first ones off aquabid Ended up getting them for free because he was nipping his own fins shipping included. Fixed him up in about a week and have been having amazing looking fry since then:)

How was the aquabid service? i've been thinking about buying some off there. Did you get yours from an Asian breeder, and have to do all that transshipper stuff? And what do you do with your fry?

CherrySparkles
04-23-2010, 10:47 PM
My first betta came from a small local pet store, my second one came from an SPCA branch nearby (yup, someone surrendered him!) and my last three have come from our local UsedEverywhere.com site (like Craigslist for those outside of Canada) from people who were bored of them as pets.

After getting my first betta and getting a bit of an eye opener on how they can be mistreated, I've gone on a bit of a rescuing kick. :p