PDA

View Full Version : Mixing different colors/species of shrimp

PUNISHER VETTE
03-30-2010, 03:18 AM
I've got a ton of cherry shrimp.

I offered some up to people in the local aquarium club. Some people wanted some and someone said they would even trade me some yellow for my red.

I don't have 2 tanks and don't want to mix colors.

Just wondering which ones won't breed and will keep the reds red and the yellows yellow, blues blue, greens green....

CGY_Betta_Guy
03-30-2010, 03:30 AM
someone posted this for me a while back.
Shrimp Compatibility chart (http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/dwarf_shrimp_compatibility_chart.shtml)

edit: sorry... didnt realize you were asking about interbreeding...

annageckos
03-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Most of those shrimp are just color variations of the cherry and will interbreed. In doing so they end up looking like the wild form which is mostly brown.

Z Fish Man
03-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I was wondering if you have bred blue shrimp and they turned out blue? I read that the offspring aren't blue but the that the blue color is either cause by environmental factors or diet.

Sarkazmo
03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Most of those shrimp are just color variations of the cherry and will interbreed. In doing so they end up looking like the wild form which is mostly brown.

This is what will happen. Red and Yellow will not make Orange, you'll eventually have an entire tank of BROWN.

Sark

PUNISHER VETTE
03-30-2010, 11:08 AM
That chart is perfect.

Looks like yellow and red can't mix.

But there was also Neocaridina heteropoda= cherry shrimp
and a category for cherry shrimp...

Wonder why they have two for that and what makes them different.