PDA

View Full Version : Will a plant grow in a 2.5g tank?

SkarloeysMom
05-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I have a 2.5g MiniBow with a 15W max. hood with an incandesent bulb in it. Is there a plant that will grow under such low light conditions? I have a new Betta in there and I would like to get him a plant. Last time I tried a banana plant on advise from LFS and it died really quick and left my tank with an algae problem.

Chrona
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I have a 2.5g MiniBow with a 15W max. hood with an incandesent bulb in it. Is there a plant that will grow under such low light conditions? I have a new Betta in there and I would like to get him a plant. Last time I tried a banana plant on advise from LFS and it died really quick and left my tank with an algae problem.

Anubias nana, anubias nana petite, java fern, java moss (or any kind of moss for that matter) will grow fine under that light.

How did you have the banana plant planted?

cocoa_pleco
05-14-2007, 09:40 PM
ive had java fern, java moss, and moss balls grow in 2.5g

xoolooxunny
05-14-2007, 11:28 PM
ive only had luck with banana plants in shallow water with some frogs, made great pond simulation for them! the water was also acidic, about 6.0 and they flourished. You may have luck putting it on driftwood closer to the top of the tank, but then again i've never tried one in my deeper tanks.

SkarloeysMom
05-15-2007, 02:32 AM
How did you have the banana plant planted?

I can't really remember for sure. I think they may have told me to just drop it in the tank and it would take root.

Chrona
05-15-2007, 03:07 AM
I can't really remember for sure. I think they may have told me to just drop it in the tank and it would take root.

Hm, that's odd. Banana plants are supposed to be halfway buried in the substrate, but it shouldn't have died quickly regardless unless something was eating it, it was in poor shape to begin with, or your water chemistry is really wack.

cocoa_pleco
05-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Hm, that's odd. Banana plants are supposed to be halfway buried in the substrate, but it shouldn't have died quickly regardless unless something was eating it, it was in poor shape to begin with, or your water chemistry is really wack.

True. It would have been a slow death. Someone must have secretly having a midnight snack

SkarloeysMom
05-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Well, it didn't die right away. I think it took a month or two. I'm guessing the plant was in poor shape because I keep up my water quality. Or maybe it was because I didn't plant it right.

Anyway, I'll try a Java fern or anubias. Those look cool and sounds like they're easy.

Chrona
05-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Make sure to tie them to a rock/driftwood. The rhizome has to be exposed or it rots

SkarloeysMom
05-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Make sure to tie them to a rock/driftwood. The rhizome has to be exposed or it rots

Which plant needs to be tied to a rock? the banana plant?

xoolooxunny
05-16-2007, 03:05 AM
Which plant needs to be tied to a rock? the banana plant?

yes, or any other rhizome based plant, such as a java fern or anubias nana

Chrona
05-16-2007, 03:07 AM
Just the rhizome plants as xooloo stated. Banana plants are tuber plants, and so should pushing into the substrate so half of the banana is buried.