PDA

View Full Version : What size tank will I need for 6 Angels?

sower
03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I want to set up a tank with 6 angels and other fish, probably a schoo of tetra, bottom feeders (loaches?) etc. And I'm planning to have a planted tank. How big a tank would I need for this? And which fish go best with angels?
Cheers,
Josh.

EmmanuelJB
03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
For the angels I would say 80-100 Gallons for 6. They may have to be seperated as they get older, because some may pair up and get agressive (even if they dont pair they can become agressive as they get older, or even at a young age.) For bottom feeders you could get with plecos, and maybe some corrys (although somtimes my angels pick at my corry cats). Loaches depending on the species would need a larger aquarium. Clown loaches would need a 125 as adults. But for bottom feeders I like catfish. With the tetras make sure you dont get the really small kinds as they may become angel fish food!

I have kept congo tetras, female bettas, zebra danios, corrys, and plecos with angels and they have all done fine. Platys, Rainbows, and Larger tetras I think would be other good options.

Good Luck!!!

rich311k
03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
A 55 would work, a 75 would be better. Any non nippy tetra, that is bigger than a neon or cardinal will work well with angels. You may have to play musical angels as they will get quite feisty if a pair is formed.

A nicely planted tank would work very well.

Oskar
03-29-2010, 10:29 PM
I think a 75 would be your best bet. The extra depth of a 75 will give you more room for plants,and the fish will appreciate it too.

EmmanuelJB
03-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I am surprised that a 55 or even 75 could have 6 angelfish in it. Maybe a 75, but my 60 gallon has 4 (not even full grown) angel fish and that even seems small for them. They will nip each other once in a while and it just doesnt seem very big for them. Thats why I was thinking at least 80 gallons for 6. One thing I do know for sure is bigger is better, so I would go as big as you can beyond 80 gallons. Thats just my opinion with my expirences though...

Oskar
03-29-2010, 10:55 PM
I have 6 in a 55 with no problems. But there are no other fish,just the angels.

thatcichlidguy
03-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Personally I wouldn't go smaller than a 6' tank for that many angels. You'll get a pair or two out of six fish and once they start spawning things can get rowdy. You'd really want the extra room when that happens and it's better to have enough space from the start.

EmmanuelJB
03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Well you have no other fish plus all fish behave differently, so it definatley could work, im was just saying, how angels can be agressive, do get pretty big, plus bigger is always better. But yes I think it COULD in a 55 work.

thatcichlidguy
03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Adults or juvies? All one sex or both? Spawning or not yet?

Oskar
03-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Well you have no other fish plus all fish behave differently, so it definatley could work, im was just saying, how angels can be agressive, do get pretty big, plus bigger is always better. But yes I think it COULD in a 55 work.
I understood what you are saying. And you have very good points. Hopefully getting different peoples experiences will help the OP make an informed decision.

Oskar
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Adults or juvies? All one sex or both? Spawning or not yet?
Adults.Have had them for around 2 years. No spawning,so there is no way to tell sex.

thatcichlidguy
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
There is a way , but it's not a very friendly way. I dont suggest trying it either, but it involves squeezing the vent area and manually exposing the sex organs. Unless you know what your doing you can seriously harm your fish.

I think the chances are you've got all one sex, and likely female at that. Males would still get pretty territorial even without females around. The odds of ending up with all females out of six is pretty low. Seems like you've beaten them though LOL.

Oskar
03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
There is a way , but it's not a very friendly way. I dont suggest trying it either, but it involves squeezing the vent area and manually exposing the sex organs. Unless you know what your doing you can seriously harm your fish.

I think the chances are you've got all one sex, and likely female at that. Males would still get pretty territorial even without females around. The odds of ending up with all females out of six is pretty low. Seems like you've beaten them though LOL.
I have no idea what I have,lol. I had 2 females in a 30,and they fought until I gave one away. There was always a dominant one in the tank,but when they both started to lay eggs,the dominance shifted,and the aggression took over.The one that was laying tormented the other,no matter what.Then the other would lay,and the tables would turn.I am sure they would have eventually killed each other if I had not given one to a friend with a known male.So IME,females can be very territorial as well.

I think the odds of them being all the same sex have got to be one in a million! I got them as juvis,about nickel sized,and there have been no problems.

rich311k
03-29-2010, 11:53 PM
It is 1/64 for 6 random fish to be the same sex.

Oskar
03-30-2010, 12:06 AM
It is 1/64 for 6 random fish to be the same sex.
LOL, good to know. Thanks!

thatcichlidguy
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
I have no idea what I have,lol. I had 2 females in a 30,and they fought until I gave one away. There was always a dominant one in the tank,but when they both started to lay eggs,the dominance shifted,and the aggression took over.The one that was laying tormented the other,no matter what.Then the other would lay,and the tables would turn.I am sure they would have eventually killed each other if I had not given one to a friend with a known male.So IME,females can be very territorial as well.

I think the odds of them being all the same sex have got to be one in a million! I got them as juvis,about nickel sized,and there have been no problems. That's the thing though, spawning . Even though they were both female they did spawn, even if it was individually with no male. That's always the game changer with cichlids. If it hadn't been for that they'd probably still be doing great together. Normally what I see in those types of situations is the two females spawn with each other.
Truth is that you never really know just what your going to get into with multiple cichlid of the same species . Mixing species is generally more predictable IME since your dealling with the temperments of the species rather than trying to cope with the conspecific aggression of a monospecific group. Conspecific aggression is harder to deal with IMO since it's a product of both teritorialism and sexual competition. That's one of the reasons I always advocate a much larger tank for groups of the same species. It helps diffuse some of the competition for space since there is more of it.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-30-2010, 02:26 AM
While I realize that in all likelihood we are talking about P. scalare it may be important to be sure that is the species in question. If on the off chance the OP is wanting P. altum then there is now way I would think of putting 6 in anything smaller than a 220 or even larger.

thatcichlidguy
03-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Very good point.

sower
03-30-2010, 11:55 AM
While I realize that in all likelihood we are talking about P. scalare it may be important to be sure that is the species in question. If on the off chance the OP is wanting P. altum then there is now way I would think of putting 6 in anything smaller than a 220 or even larger.
Thanks for all the info, I was talking about scalare

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I started with 9 in my 55 as juvies. By the time they reached spawning age, I had pairs set up in 4 separate tanks with 3 in the 55 gallon. They're not exactly loveable at maturity! Right now I have a pair in my 55 gallon and gave the odd-man-out to my son for his tank due to fighting.

Angels began spawning at 5-6 months so surprised none of yours have spawned.

bushwhacker
04-07-2010, 02:04 PM
i have 5 in my 75 gal tank had 6 but lost one of my kois, yesterday i noticed my blue blushers had spawned for the first time. i'm sure the eggs are dead but they dont want anyone near em lol

cichlids209
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I personally am surprised a lot of you guys have angels in a 55 gallon . angelfish NEED tall aquariums for optimal fin growth , the very minimum i would put a angelfish in is a 2 foot tall aquarium preferably taller . and for 6 i would go with a big tank

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Dane, just how big do you think P. scalare grows that makes you say they need a 2" high tank? Just curious.

cichlids209
04-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Dane, just how big do you think P. scalare grows that makes you say they need a 2" high tank? Just curious.

P.scalare or angelfish are tall fish and grow vertically up to 8 inches from tip to tip . which leaves 12 inches give or take when full grown in a 55 gallon . then you start adding gravel or sand and that takes away 1-2 inches btw this is if the fish is touching the substrate the fish will only have like 10 inches of swim space till the top yea real great environment for it .........

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-08-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm not trying to argue with you here, because you are certainly entitled to your opinion, however, in the wild, many times these fish have less vertical space then we give them in an artificial one. I've personally seen quite a few full grown healthy angels in 55gal tanks.