PDA

View Full Version : Frogbit and Gouramis

Zilla
03-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I really wanted Dwarf Water Lettuce or Red Root Floaters but couldn't find any so I went with Frogbit.

I have a piece of Penywort floating in the 55 that the Gouramis haven't completely trashed. It doesn't look great, but it is sprouting new leaves as they've been busy acting like vacuum cleaners since I've added Java Moss.

What are the odds that they will leave the Frogbit in one piece? To divert their attention somewhat, I also ordered 2 Anubias. One for the 55, the other for the 20.

I've been trying really hard to introduce plants that I think they may not really bother with. So far Amazon Swords and Java Ferns make it on their "Meh. I'll poke at it, but it's not worth the time or effort!" list.

annageckos
03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
You can try feeding them more greens. It works with my ruby barbs, for the most part. Cukes, grapes and leafy greens are all big hits.

VoidParadigm
03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Gouramis are omnivores. They'll be after edible vegetation and organisms living in it. In the wild they do "graze" regularly, as they live in HIGHLY vegetated waters - easy meals.

All you can do is add some more fresh fruit or veggies to their diet and hope for the best.

Rhaethe
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Mine never munched on the leaves of frogbit ... but he systematically snipped off all the hanging roots. He'd allow the roots to grow an inch, but anything over an inch would get snipped. Providing other greens never really worked ... he wasn't eating the frogbit as much as he groomed it. Unfortunately, the frogbit didn't take kindly to it.

I've not tried frogbit with the pearl, though.

Zilla
03-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Mine pick at the roots of the Pennywort and it doesn't appear bothered by their snipping or selective trimming. I'm hoping the Frogbit tolerates it just as well, but just in case it doesn't, I'm going to take a few sprigs from what I ordered and toss them in the 20 as well.

If I keep using the 20 as a plant rescue tank, Elvis will think he's living in a jungle. LOL I don't think he'll complain too much. This morning he was using the larger leaves from the Pennywort in his tank like a hammock.

toddnbecka
03-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Have you tried duckweed? If you get enough of it to start, it will grow faster than the gourami can eat it.

Zilla
03-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I've thought about it, but I don't really want to go that way if I don't have to. I have enough invasive weeds to deal with outside, so I really don't want them in my tank as well.

We'll see how it goes. It's not hard offering veggies and such as they eat them readily. They're fine otherwise. They're not moody, fight over food or thoss around attitude like Gouramis are commonly known for, they just don't play well with plants.