PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Breeding Bristlenose Plecos

The Curious
03-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey guys. I have a male bristlenose pleco in my 55 gallon with an Oscar at the moment. I am planning on buying two mature female bristlenose plecos to add into the mix.

I know that early winter is the ideal spawning time for them, so I have a bit of time to prepare myself for breeding.

So I guess my main questions are...What size tank would I need if I were to seperate the plecos from my oscar a month or so before spawning time to get then ready? What water parameters should I be gunning for? And what substrate and décor would be most fitting for a pleco breeding tank?

Northernguy
03-27-2010, 08:35 PM
An oscar tank is no place for breeding fish that are food size!Unless it is for food.
The oscar may be small now but it won't take long till a bn will fit in its mouth!
Get a 29gal and start breeding them.It will be so much easier.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/ancistrusdolichopterus.php

The Curious
03-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I had heard that bns were compatable with Os. Was I told wrong? I know they are small compared to most plecos, but I had been told by a couple different people that they were Ok to keep with Oscars. Not trying t argue with you...it does make sense that the bn would be bite size in a matter of months. I guess when they say that plecos are good O mates it's because of how big they grow?

toddnbecka
03-27-2010, 09:20 PM
A 29 or 30 gallon tank is fine for a pair or trio of BN. The Oscar is compatible as far as aggression, but it will grow more than large enough to eat an adult BN. Actually, it will eat anything half its own size or smaller.
A 55 is a bit small for a fully grown Oscar; a 75 is really the minimum suitable size.

Northernguy
03-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Most plecos are fine with oscars because of their size.The larger plecos can also display quite the attitude!lol
I did have one oscar that killed a pleco 6" larger than itself.

The Curious
03-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Most plecos are fine with oscars because of their size.The larger plecos can also display quite the attitude!lol
I did have one oscar that killed a pleco 6" larger than itself.

Well damn...that puts a new perspective on that idea.

Thanks Northernguy. Gotta ask now, how big was the O...and how big was pleco?

Now you just got me curious.

annageckos
03-28-2010, 12:50 AM
I have also seen an oscar die because it tryed to eat a pleco and the pleco got stuck. The pleco died too.

Northernguy
03-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Well damn...that puts a new perspective on that idea.

Thanks Northernguy. Gotta ask now, how big was the O...and how big was pleco?

Now you just got me curious.

The oscar was easily 16" and the pleco at least 20.He didn't eat it just beat the crap out of it.I don't know the whole story,I just woke up to it.

A bn is such a peaceful fish.Mine has never hurt a fry!lol