PDA

View Full Version : Julidochromis experience

HeatherH
03-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Looking at Julidochromis Marlieri to stock a 16g tank. I read that after all is said and done,only a pair will be good in this tank. The tank isn't ready yet,just shopping around exploring my options as these beautiful fish were mentioned as being suitable for my size of tank.

It's going to be planted,not sure how these fellas do on plants. I read they like rocks and caves-not a problem. Easy to breed,whether or not that happens I don't really care. Just a little concerned about all of the F1's. I only found one person so far who wasn't selling F1's,and she was selling a group of six. (That's twice as many as I want to get). I'm scared of anything F1.

Maybe I'm being silly? Would F1's be too big a risk for someone who has never had wild caught experience and doesn't want them solely for breeding into a domestic strain? Argh!

How should I go about this? (I can only get them online). Really need some seasoned Juli keepers advice.

troy
03-27-2010, 06:59 PM
F1's aren't wild caught. Their parents were wild caught.

rhonin
03-27-2010, 09:24 PM
F1's are your best fish to get.

Genetically they are the strongest and generally most disease resistant.

If you are buying small ones, more than two is okay until you end with a mated pair. As nice as these fish are, many an LFS are more than willing to take them off your hands...

Plants are okay with them, they like caves or hide-aways.

:22:

toddnbecka
03-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I'd recommend transcriptus rather than marlieri, they're the smallest and most mellow members of the Julie clan. In any case a smaller tank is fine for an established pair, but not for growing out a group of 6 to get a pair out of them. I'd recommend at least a 3' tank to grow out/pair off a group of any cichlid.

HeatherH
03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Well the fry for sale are about an inch to 1.5 in long on average. Haven't really picked out a type I wanted but I do like the marlieri. But I like smaller and more calm natured better.

I wouldn't give them to my lfs I'd gladly give them away to responsible owners after I got a mated pair. I read they are slow growers,often choosing a mate at a small age and sticking with them forever. As soon as I see them favoring one another I'm supposed to remove the rest of them.

I need to find someone ready to take them off of my hands when/if I get them and the time is right. I'm not feeling comfortable getting any until I find that someone. No way would I give them to my lfs. They tried to tell me dyed blood parrots were "born those colors". :hmm3grin2orange:

hybridguy
04-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I'd recommend transcriptus rather than marlieri, they're the smallest and most mellow members of the Julie clan. In any case a smaller tank is fine for an established pair, but not for growing out a group of 6 to get a pair out of them. I'd recommend at least a 3' tank to grow out/pair off a group of any cichlid.

I also would recommend transcriptus. I have had both and the marlieri were very aggressive even in my 220.