PDA

View Full Version : Please help my sick goldies!

chicklett1
03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum.

I have 2 juvenile (2 inch total length) telescope-eye goldfish in a 10G tank. (Don't worry, their upgrade 30G is being cycled as we speak, although I don't want to move them until they are better.) I keep their current tank overfiltered with 2 filters, and I do 25% water changes 2-3 times a week.

They have been in this setup with no problems since they were fry. About 5 days ago, I noticed some fraying on the dorsal fins and tails of both fish at the same time. This has gotten worse over the past 2 days, and one of them has a tear in its tail that goes all the way to the base. It also has some hemorrhagic looking patches on its belly, and its slime coat is looking dull. Both fish are otherwise acting normally--eating well.

I have treated so far with 1 tsp/gallon aquarium salt and upped my water changes to 25% daily. The day before yesterday, I started treating with Furan+Kanamycin as directed. The fish actually look worse now.

What should I do? Water parameters are fine (Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 2, pH7.2). Temp is 74 degrees during the day and 72 at night, which is room temperature here.

Please advise on how I can help Popeye and Panda! They are my favorite fish, and I feel terrible. :help:

VoidParadigm
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Not sure about the patches on the belly, but some local fish shops sell slime coat boosters. The tail shredding could just be due to stress from the meds and salt - so long as it IS indeed unrelated to the patches the fins should heal by themself within a week of the goldfish getting off all their meds.

chicklett1
03-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am hesitant to do away with all medication since at least one of the fish is looking really bad, and I don't know if it can come around without any help. I'm pretty sure this is a bacterial infection because it happened so acutely. Water parameters are still perfect. One of the goldfish looks the same, but the sicker one seems to be hypersecreting its slime coat and is now covered in whitish layers of slime. I am fairly sure it is slime and not ich or fungus or anything like that. It looks dull all over and there are gobs of slime in places.

Any other ideas?