PDA

View Full Version : ich outbreak

lethalcustoms00
03-27-2010, 03:14 AM
what can i use to treat ich i a tank that has plecos besides salt? I need help fast!

octoxpuss
03-27-2010, 03:49 AM
When i had an ick outbreak i used quICK cure with my plecs. and they survived so just follow the instructions and you will be good. BTW bump up the temp to about 80 it will speed up the ick cycle getting rid of it faster. ONLY do this when you have medications running through the tank tho.

lethalcustoms00
03-27-2010, 05:20 AM
does salt count as meds? i have the tank at about 84-85 degrees already with more airation

octoxpuss
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Ok, first i would like to know what fish you have because 84-85 degrees is pretty warm for fish (at a constant) salt really doesnt do anything when it comes to ick (IMO) salt is really used only to keep infection away. 88 degrees for a little wouldnt hurt to much no more than 5 day i would say but make sure treatment is in the tank for the ick.

lethalcustoms00
03-27-2010, 11:14 PM
the tank is tang cichlids. N. brichardi and a couple t. dubosi. there are 2 bn plecos and a clown pleco and some hybrid cichlid crosses. the blue panaque that was in there died today so im pretty mad about that. the tank is 85-86 degrees with a tablespoon of aquarium salt fo every 5 gallons,(its a 55).

Wild Turkey
03-27-2010, 11:35 PM
You can use any ich med thats for sensitive fish.

I use rid ich+

You dont want to raise the heat when using ich meds. Its also best to run an airstone.

lethalcustoms00
03-28-2010, 01:03 AM
dont want to raise the temp? i have some copper safe im thinking about using actually

Wild Turkey
03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
No, do not raise the temp

Raising the heat (unless its up past 86) is to speed up the ichs life cycle, so you dont raise the heat when using meds. They both deplete oxygen, and are both stressful so you do not want to do both. Raising the heat into the low 80s is for other treatments, raising the heat without treating with salt is just increasing the ichs infection and breeding rate.

If you want to kill ich outright with heat, then you JUST raise the heat, and raise it up to 87-88F. Again run an air stone

If you want to use coppersafe make sure there are no inverts or sensitive fish in the tank, and DO NOT overdose. Personally I wouldnt use copper meds because of the pleco, it will probably kill him. There is the option of removing the pleco(s) if they arent yet infected but moving them back may be an issue as copper can be very tough to get rid of entirely.

EmmanuelJB
03-28-2010, 01:37 AM
When i had an ick outbreak i used quICK cure with my plecs. and they survived so just follow the instructions and you will be good. BTW bump up the temp to about 80 it will speed up the ick cycle getting rid of it faster. ONLY do this when you have medications running through the tank tho.
I did the same thing except I kept the temp the same. QuICK cure is amazing. I think it is probably the best thing to get rid of ich out there! I also had (besides the pleco) corrys and tetras in my tank, when I treated and non died.

wolf_eyes
03-28-2010, 03:03 AM
Have you tried the salt method already? I had ich in my tank and salt+heat worked far better than any medication I used. That was with a farlowella, tetras, rams, and cories in the tank as well. With any treatment make sure you continue for 3-4 days after all signs of ich are gone. With medications you'll want to follow the instructions but continue it for longer than they say to.

lethalcustoms00
03-28-2010, 03:05 AM
who makes the quICK cure and whats in it?

wolf_eyes
03-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Malachite green and formalin are the two ingredients that fight the ich in quick cure. The brand I believe is AP Pro.

octoxpuss
03-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Sorry about the misleading info. It seems i miscommunicated on here myself. I always thought you had to do both. Look at that your thread helped 2 people. Thanks for correcting me everyone.

wolf_eyes
03-28-2010, 04:42 AM
the tank is 85-86 degrees with a tablespoon of aquarium salt fo every 5 gallons,(its a 55).

Sorry I was reading over your thread and noticed this. If you want to do salt treatment for ich, you need to make it 1- 2 teaspoons for every gallon of water(i used 1ts per gallon myself). The free swimming form cannot handle the salt at this level and either ruptures or is crippled to the point where it is extremely hard for it to find a host in 48 hrs.

rothenb1
03-28-2010, 04:55 AM
Stay away from copper based ich treatments. Like others said, quICK cure is really great. I used a copper based ich treatment for a week and it did absolutely nothing. I finally switched to quICK cure and it cleared the ich up in days. Unfortunately it was too late for my clown loaches. All 5 died.