PDA

View Full Version : Plants

thatcichlidguy
03-27-2010, 12:15 AM
So I'm planning a trip to the LFS this weekend, no fish yet but looking to get some plants . I need some suggestions for plants that are undemanding for light and feeding but are tough enough to hang in a cichlid tank.

Zilla
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
You don't have many choices even if you wanted to go with higher lighting. LOL

You can try Anubias, but some cichlids make salad out of those as well. Some people have had luck with things like Java Moss, but I'd try the Anubias first.

cichlids209
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
only one i can think of is Anubia's

Lab_Rat
03-27-2010, 12:27 AM
What kind of cichlids are they going in with?

With my nics and dempseys I have anubias and some large sword plants. They routinely rip up the leaves (like salad shooters) and there is new plant carnage every day. It's actually lessened with the more plants I add, and I've tried to add the biggest plants possible.

With my africans (non-mbuna) I have a bunch of swords, anubias, java fern, and water lettuce. At first they picked at the plants, but now they don't really mess with any of them. They're much better than my nics.

With my rams I keep any plant I want as they don't bother the plants.

Jacko
03-27-2010, 12:31 AM
The hardiest plants to fish attacking them that I can think of are anubias and java fern.. though I've had good luck with crypts and crinum, supposed to taste bad to fish... or you could go with something fast growing like or hornwort, so that you don't really notice if it gets torn up and eaten

Zilla
03-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Hornwort has needles which make a mess though. However, depending on what type of cichlids we're talking about, some of them can make a huge mess out of any type of plant.

Aeonflame
03-27-2010, 01:20 AM
best ones I can think of are anubias and plastic

thatcichlidguy
03-27-2010, 01:28 AM
I am planning on Gymnogeophagus species , so this will be a cooler water tank as well. The tank will be allowed to drop into the lower 60's to near the 50's for the winter. Just how low depend on the particular species I get. The warmest it will get is mid 70's.

My primary concern is the plants getting uprooted since Gymnos are a substrate sifting group. Basicly any plant I would have in the tank has to be tolerant of the temps and occasionally getting it's roots exposed by the foraging gymnos.

annageckos
03-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Java fern and anubias will be your best bets I think.