PDA

View Full Version : Female cherry shrimp sensitivity?

wlepse
03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I posted a thread earlier about a dumb mistake I made this past weekend on my shrimp tank. Basically I cleaned the hell out of it including my homemade prefilter. In retrospec I know realize that this prefilter took over as my tank filter media, so soaking in peroxide has sent me into a mini cylce.

Anyway, I noticed the error I think Tuesday and started to do two WC a day 50% each to try to keep teh ammonia and nitrite in check. I have also been adding some SafeStart to help things along. The first few days all the shrimp seemed normal going about their normal business but last night several seemed listless and many were huddling together. Some seemed to be completely unaffected. As I watched more I noticed the ones seeming to have more issues were redder in color which I beleive means they are female. So are females inherintely more sensitive? Is there maybe something else I am missing here?

Zilla
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Shrimp are sensitive. They thrive in pristine water and a stable tank conditions.

The fact that you added water conditioner has nothing to do with it. Your mini-cycle has caused stress on the tank and the best thing to do is to continue to do water changes until it passes.

There is nothing in Safe Start that would harm shrimp, so what you are seeing the result of a unstable tank. They should be okay once the mini-cycle passes although I can't say for fact that all of them will survive the stress of it.

wlepse
03-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Wasn't concerned that the water conditioner or safe start was causing the problem. Just concerned I may be missing something since they all seemed normal yesterday morning then last night they weren't and the water tested better last night than earlier in the week. Maybe it is just a cumulative effect but I am also concerned that the femals seem to be more effected. Just don't want to miss something else that may be happening in parallel to the mini cycle.

Wild Turkey
03-26-2010, 03:02 PM
A general sign of stress is them not moving, listlessness is another way to describe it. Healthy shrimp almost never stop moving, even if its just their little front legs. If they didnt die and the mini cycle is finishing up then you are probably okay, but i would keep testing and keep any ammonia or nitrites very low because of their sensitivity.

Good luck

Sarkazmo
03-26-2010, 03:37 PM
The fact that you added water conditioner has nothing to do with it. Your mini-cycle has caused stress on the tank and the best thing to do is to continue to do water changes until it passes.

SafeStart is a bio-additive. It seeds a tank with bacteria to drastically reduce new tank syndrome. This should help the tank out a great deal.

The peroxide likely killed most of the bacteria on that sponge. You should never use anything but dechlorinated water to clean filter media.

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to water chemistry. Ammonia can wipe out an entire tank over night. Keep checking the level of ammonia and be sure to keep it as low as possible. If the ammonia keeps rising you should use something like Ammo Chips to remove the ammonia to a great degree.

Sark

wlepse
03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
A general sign of stress is them not moving, listlessness is another way to describe it.
That is basically what the females are doing...just sitting together. At first I thought maybe the heater also kicked and they were hiding under the leaf to conserve heat. The males are still roaming around swimming and climbing on the plants.

The peroxide likely killed most of the bacteria on that sponge. You should never use anything but dechlorinated water to clean filter media.
yeah never do it with the HOB filter media, just never struck me that what I considered as only a baby shrimp guard would actually be my filter. Won't make that mistake again.

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to water chemistry. Ammonia can wipe out an entire tank over night. Keep checking the level of ammonia and be sure to keep it as low as possible. If the ammonia keeps rising you should use something like Ammo Chips to remove the ammonia to a great degree.

Sark
Unfortunately I don't remember the gradients to the API test card, but the ammonia peaked Tuesday night somewhere between the first and second color (not zero) then stayed right around the first which I think might be 0.25. Last night and this morning the ammonia was zero but nitrates were still at the first non-zero indicator. I'll just keep doing WC's.

So has anyone noticed before a difference in the way sexes respond differently? Even if this is soley caused by the mini cycle I think it is interesting that the females seem more susceptible.

Sarkazmo
03-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I would have to say that in my experience the males are somewhat hardier. Dunno why though.

It does sound like a mini cycle. Just keep a close eye on it. .25 is the first colour, .50 is the next, then 1, 2, 4, and finally 8.

Nitrates should be kept as low as possible via WCs. There's also products on the market (chemical media) that will remove Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates but it's always best to do it naturally if you can. Minimize feeding while this minicycle's playing out to lessen the stress on the shrimps.

RCS are pretty hardy for shrimps so you should come out of this ok, just give them as much help as needed and watch them closely.

Sark

wlepse
03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I would have to say that in my experience the males are somewhat hardier. Dunno why though.

Sark
Cool that makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully all will pull through and I will keep doing two WC a day until things return to normal.

Anyway thanks to everyone for your input.

korith
03-26-2010, 08:22 PM
The female shrimp that are carrying eggs are more sensitive that I know for sure. Sometimes even the slightest change in their environment can cause them to drop their eggs and abandon them. I would just keep an eye on the water quality, and try to keep conditions stable in the tank. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all. Too many water changes might mean too many temperature swings in the tank as well, which isn't great.

wlepse
03-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Been trying to match temps as best as possible. I try to let it only vary a half degree; if it gets too cool I let the heater catch up then continue. Takes a while but I figure they are pretty small and would be more susceptible to temp swings. But thanks for the tip.