PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

rocketdude1234
03-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, this is actually my first time posting to an aquarium forum. About 6 months ago I purchased a 36g bowfront, which become home to three young shubunkin goldfish (two HOB aqueon power filter 30s). They quickly out grew this environment and two have been moved to an outdoor pond.

Since then, I have added 2 new 10g aquariums and added several amano shrimp in with the last shubunkin (~3"). Despite the concerns I had at first, the fish is not bothered or interested in the shrimp whatsoever. In fact, the female amanos like to go and eat the goldfish flakes off the surface along with Nuke (the shubunkin). Since the two larger fish have been removed, all the males have began to come out as well, although they are not as confident as the females.

Anyways, I'm glad I found a forum with a lot of people on it as some would say I have caught the "shrimp bug."

Back to the 2 new 10g (yes, they are fully cycled). I started with 6 orange shrimp (caridina propinqua) and subsequently learned they could not breed without brackish water (bummer, they're so pretty). After waiting a few weeks I found some Indian Zebra Shrimp at my LFS and decided to purchase 10 of them.

After a few weeks, I decided to go back to the store and purchase the rest of the IZ they had left (about 20) since the ones in the 10g had been doing so well. Its been about a week since I added the additional 20 and brought the population up to about 35 (I did lose one orange and one IZ) and all are doing amazingly. They have already started to do feeding frenzys when I have fed them.

There are several that have reached adult coloration, or what I believe to be adult coloration based on all the photos I have seen and most have molted at least once (some as many as three times). Many of the last 20 were quite white when I added them but have now developed their stripes. This may be a result of the substrate the LFS was using versus my black gravel substrate.

Anyhow, I plan on breeding the IZ as I have 8.2 ph and 8-10gh. Despite the apparent lack of specific data on these shrimp, I have read they prefer the hard water.

It has been about a month since they have been in the tank and I have started to notice a few saddled females. There is also a lot of swimming at random times during the day. What is interesting about this is all the orange shrimp are saddled females. It is only certain IZ that go wildly swimming about. My hope is this before is a response to the smell of a female in estrous(?).

On to my second tank. It has been up and running, planted, for about 3 weeks. There are a few snails in the aquarium and all have been doing very well. I have not yet decided what to stock this tank with, although I am inclined to put Harlequin Shrimp (sulawesi) or another sulawesi shrimp in there. I considered changing water parameters as I have read that they prefer high ph, soft water, but opted to stay with my local parameters. Stable water is prefered in my opinion.

I do not plan on ordering online as my LFS has access to wild caught shrimp, including sulawesi shrimp. Unfortunately I will probably have to pay about $5 or $6 per shrimp, I feel the initial investment is worth the cost if I can breed them. Regardless, they are absolutely beautiful shrimp.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my intro. My name is Adam and I'd love to hear your feedback or questions. I'm glad to be a part of a community such as this and I hope we can all learn from one another.

I tried to upload some photos but they are too large, and it is too late for me to change them. I will upload some pictures soon for all of you. : )

rocketdude1234
03-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Its only 2:47am so I thought I'd let you guys in on my some pics. : )

MrRobarto
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
hey mate welcome to AC!!! also I love your pics especially the shrimp. very nice.

Northernguy
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Nice tanks!thumbs2:
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

rich311k
03-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Welcome to AC! Beautiful tanks!

rocketdude1234
03-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Alright guys, I took some more pictures this morning so I thought I'd share.