PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank big enough?

TracyUK
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I have just aquired a 4ftx13 inches x14 inches.

First question.....is this big enough for piranhas? If so, how many?

We are just deciding what to put in it and researching before running out and buying.

Fishguy2727
05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
They will be just over a foot and are schooling so I do not think that tank is big enough.

TracyUK
05-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok, thanks Reptileguy, we'll have to think of something else then.thumbs2:

Fishguy2727
05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Are you wanting something predatory, large, different, or what?

TracyUK
05-13-2007, 11:08 PM
We want a few large interesting fish rather than lots of small tropicals like neons etc. We are thinking possibly puffers, discus, maybe seahorses, don't know really. We want to do it right whatever we put in there. We've got our big tank set up perfectly now and are looking forward to doing this smaller one.

cocoa_pleco
05-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Id say either discus, severums, or bloodparrots

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 11:28 PM
You could do a FOWLR tank, or a decent reef too, that is, if you wanted to do saltwater.

cocoa_pleco
05-13-2007, 11:31 PM
saltwaters a good idea. my tank takes care of itself naturally, no water changes or anything needed. The only work is feeding the condy, and he runs like a rabbit to his food

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 11:35 PM
No water change is bad. You need to do like 15-25 every two weeks or so.

cocoa_pleco
05-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Thats a good project for tonight, a SW water change!

Second project- watch the zebras cruise around. Theyre really smart. One found a tunnel in the driftwood and he zips through it

Fishguy2727
05-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Some saltwater tanks are truly self sustaining (at least as far as water changes go). They still usually require additives to supplement nutrients.

That tank is a bit small for discus. Smaller species of cichlids would probably work out well.

Drumachine09
05-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Oh, forgot that part. Thanks reptile guy. If you dont want to add trace elements and such, you need to do at least a small water change every 1.5-2 weeks.

TracyUK
05-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok, so salt water sounds good, is that brakish or marine then? I've briefly had a marine tank once, many years ago, but gave up with it. It cost me an arm and a leg! What fish could I have in a saltwater tank?

Fishguy2727
05-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Saltwater is the same as marine. Brackish is estuarine, where freshwater dumps into saltwater, in bays, river deltas, etc.

There is a lot you could do with that size tank. I suggest starting with The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums. That book is a good start for saltwater tanks.

TracyUK
05-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Saltwater is the same as marine. Brackish is estuarine, where freshwater dumps into saltwater, in bays, river deltas, etc.

There is a lot you could do with that size tank. I suggest starting with The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums. That book is a good start for saltwater tanks.

I will have a read, many thanks thumbs2:

Ryan556
07-12-2007, 08:10 PM
well if u want piranha get them no offence to all these fish experts But i was told my 16 gallon tank was 2 small for my piranhas i needed a 95 gallon and my piranhas live in a 16 gallon with 5 neons and a catfish they sometimes Nip each others fin but piranha regenerate so fast it don't matter nothing can live with piranha my 5 neons and 1 catfish has for about 4 months so pff to that

Fishguy2727
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Piranhas grow to about a foot, so they need a big tank. They are also schooling and therefore need a school of at least six, making the minimum tank size even bigger.

How big are your piranhas?
How long have you had them?

That is not a good setup for them or the other fish. In time the consequences of such a small tank and bad compatibility will come.

kkyyllee
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
well if u want piranha get them no offence to all these fish experts But i was told my 16 gallon tank was 2 small for my piranhas i needed a 95 gallon and my piranhas live in a 16 gallon with 5 neons and a catfish they sometimes Nip each others fin but piranha regenerate so fast it don't matter nothing can live with piranha my 5 neons and 1 catfish has for about 4 months so pff to that
that has to be the worst setup i have ever heard, i think a goldfish would be better off n a bowl than the fish you have in there

kkyyllee
07-13-2007, 10:22 PM
as for saltwatre fish, dont go with sea horses as they are harder to take care of and most other fish cannot live with them, along with some corals, start out with some easy fish like clowns, cardinals, gobies, you could have a school of cardinals or firefish in there, that would be pretty cool

Ryan556
07-15-2007, 08:02 PM
well yes thx for all your Concerns but my piranhas are about 3 inchs at the Moment and i have just moved them to a 4 foot tank and i have a few hudge tanks downstairs if i need to trade with my taranutlas lol or if needed i will buy a new one :c5:

Ryan556
07-16-2007, 05:17 PM
lol a goldfish? in a bowl i feed my piranhas 2 gold fish a week my Piranhas Slaughter stupid dumb goldfish

digger
08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
i feed my jags 6 a day no goldfish bowls in my house two feeder tanks

SoCalxPiranhaxKing
08-23-2007, 08:36 PM
You could getaway with keeping 3 maybe 4 RedBelly Piranha in your tank. Its a 55 or 60 gallon tank so three redbelly's should be fine as long as you 1) have enough filltration to handle the large amounts of waste produced by piranha.2) keep them well feed. 3)Keep them in groups of three or more. Or you could get one Rohm (S. Negro).I would go with one Black Diamond Rhom.

And to ryan its just luck thats keeping your neons & catfish alive. As for your P's thay will soon enter into a canibal faze. How many survive during the next few month's well depend on you keeping them very well feed. if you forget to feed them one day or even a few houres late thay will eat the weak, injured or under sized Piranha in the tank.. Its going to happen sooner or later, it always does atleast once.i'm almost positive there going to eat your catfish. Ive seen my P's eat a baseball size hole in a kicking 2lb live Catfish without hesitation. How many P's do you have, how big is there tank??

YaYgoldFish
08-23-2007, 09:58 PM
lol a goldfish? in a bowl i feed my piranhas 2 gold fish a week my Piranhas Slaughter stupid dumb goldfish

Are you 10 years old or just really stupid?

Some people like goldfish..I thought they were just for feeding "cool" fish that eat other fish..I'd know with the barracudas i had feeding them 2 dozens of goldfish a week, and i realized goldfish shouldn't be wasted that way...

I know my first sentence is offensive but that's the only phrase i can think of when i read your post..

Why would you say that tracy can do whatever she wants, like stuffing piranhas in a 16g with neons..then you say that they are in a 4ft tank? It's hard to beleive you have a 4ft tank OR that you have neons with your piranhas..

cocoa_pleco
08-23-2007, 10:29 PM
i bet that theres some large fish that could easily slaughter pirahnas too

YaYgoldFish
08-23-2007, 11:49 PM
i bet that theres some large fish that could easily slaughter "stupid dumb "pirahnas too

Had to add my own touch. I actually like piranhas but ehh..

crackatinny
08-23-2007, 11:59 PM
I had no idea pirahna grew so big, it is illegal to keep them over here.

cocoa_pleco
08-24-2007, 12:19 AM
in alberta we are allowed to keep all exotic fish, stingrays, pirahnas, you name it. we only cant have rats and turtles, rats because of plagues and turtles because of salmonella (stupid i think but whatever)

the truth is, most fish in the world have predators. all because goldfish are more susceptible to its predators doesnt mean we should go on a slaughter spree

Fishguy2727
08-24-2007, 12:20 AM
A 55/60 is not really big enough. They hit a foot or so and need to be in schools, that means 6 or more. They need a lot more than 60 gallons.

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Look more into like a 250-300 gallon range for a school of them. Some fish need live fish in there diet and yes them goldfish are bred for that purpose. Goldfish are not "stupid" or "dumb". They are fish, just a little lower on the food chain is all.

YaYgoldFish
08-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Look more into like a 250-300 gallon range for a school of them. Some fish need live fish in there diet and yes them goldfish are bred for that purpose. Goldfish are not "stupid" or "dumb". They are fish, just a little lower on the food chain is all.

You make a good point..I wonder what fish species would replace the goldfish if they never existed..mollys and guppies? lol

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Lol, probably guppies seeing as they already have feeder chains and yes they are a great thing in my opinion, it can spark angels into spawning and it is good to give your larger omnivorious fish and such a little live food every now and then, I give my a dozen feeder shrimp every 2 weeks.

YaYgoldFish
08-24-2007, 01:48 AM
dozen feeder shrimp? what kind do you use?

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 01:49 AM
ghost glass, only about 4 ever make it to the bottom.

YaYgoldFish
08-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Ohh, arent those like a buck each?

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 01:55 AM
2.75$ a dozen here.

YaYgoldFish
08-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Good price then lol.

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Lol, same for a dozen feeder guppies there. I haven't purchased them in forever because only my bichir would eat them and I don't have him any more. When my angels get big enough I will get some to spark spawning but otherwise, no.

SoCalxPiranhaxKing
08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
a 55/60gal could house three Adult RedBelly's but thats pushing it. a shole of three or more is fine. the main reason for keeping RBP sholes of three or more is to divide a single RBP's aggresion Between two or more others so that a single fish doesnt have to bear it all alone.

Fishguy2727
08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I do not think a 55 is good for a trio. I do not think a trio is good for piranhas. They may be able to live in there, but they won't thrive. And if they are definitely not going to thrive, don't get the fish.

SoCalxPiranhaxKing
08-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I totaly agree. If you want Happy Healthy P's three in a 55/60gal is not the way to go. I was only saying that it could be done, Not that it should be done..Sorry for any misunderstanding..Hopefully this clears up any misinterpretation of my previous statement.