PDA

View Full Version : The Best Equipment

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Just wondering if it would be a good idea to do a sticky for what we believe to be the "best" equipment. I know that everyone has his/her own opinion, but I think there is probably some consensus. For example, Marineland Stealth heaters are, I believe, the best.

For HOB filters, Aquaclear. For canisters, Ehiem. For air pumps, Rena.

Good idea/bad idea for a sticky?

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. If money isnt an option, someone couild use a sticky like this to find out what would be ideal.

Best filter for a 10 gallon = penguin biowheel 100

A340
05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Would you base the sticky on which products get the most votes? Or something similar to that?

To be honest, as far as heaters go, I am running Aqua Tec's (from Wal Mart), they cost next to nothing and I have never had a problem with them at all. However, they're not submersible.

Aquaclear's are by far the best HOB filters out there. But Rena has a new line up coming out that looks quite interesting.

I have no experience with canister filters, so I won't comment on those.

My airpumps are Stellars from TOM, and are soooooo quiet.

Lighting, since I only have normal flourescent fixtures (other then in the 10 gallons) I am very happy with Hagens XXXX-Glo line up.

Just my .02 cents though.

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I have two aqua techs from walmart, and they are fully submersible.

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Maybe we could start a poll or something so people can vote? No idea how to do that though.

A340
05-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I have two aqua techs from walmart, and they are fully submersible.
Lucky! Mine aren't, haven't seen any at our store either ... :(

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Do they have a dial on the top?

A340
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Do they have a dial on the top?
They do, but the dial is not enclosed, also there is the water level mark near the top.

Fishguy2727
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
My Azoo air pump is the best I have ever used.

cocoa_pleco
05-13-2007, 08:31 PM
best small 2g filter- azoo
best canister filters- fluvals
best HOB's- aquaclears and biowheels
best ugf- perfect-a-flo
best air pump- aquastream

gm72
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Azoo, huh? Anyone else experienced with these? I have no experience with them but am interested.

crackatinny
05-13-2007, 11:35 PM
The idea sounds good, like a product reveiw sort of thing, but as some of you have pointed out, it would take a bit of thinking about how to go about it the best way, there are a lot of different brand and even size products out there, which could make it quite a long thread for people to look through just to find the best filter for there new 10G, then there will be people putting in there pros and cons for each product, so 1 product alone could turn into, 20 posts.

Like I said, it does seem like a good idea, and I'm not against it, but it could turn into a long confusing thread.

Chrona
05-13-2007, 11:38 PM
We could have a product review subforum where people will write up a mini report about a particular product. Any further reviews would be made in the same thread.

cocoa_pleco
05-13-2007, 11:43 PM
We could have a product review subforum where people will write up a mini report about a particular product. Any further reviews would be made in the same thread.

Thats a really good idea!

crackatinny
05-13-2007, 11:50 PM

A dedicated section like that would probably work, of cause being an addition of a new subsection within technical, would have to be done by William, and depend on his agreement and workload.

I would suggest, do a poll on this idea over a week or so, then submit the request for the new subsection to William, along with a link to the poll results.