PDA

View Full Version : Snail bioload

gm72
05-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Do I remember correctly that a mystery/apple snail contributes a bioload similar to a small fish like a serpae tetra?

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Do I remember correctly that a mystery/apple snail contributes a bioload similar to a small fish like a serpae tetra?

Hmmm, i think its sounds about right, but im not sure.

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I think I remember reading it somewhere, just not sure of the info. Hey, on an unrelated note, I thought about you earlier (freaky, huh) while browsing youtube.com. Saw a video of a Buddy Rich solo. Just amazing. And I still want one of those crocodile djembes. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I think I remember reading it somewhere, just not sure of the info. Hey, on an unrelated note, I thought about you earlier (freaky, huh) while browsing youtube.com. Saw a video of a Buddy Rich solo. Just amazing. And I still want one of those crocodile djembes. Anyway, thanks for the input.

lol, you were thinking about me! I just re tuned the djembe yesterday, and i didnt realize i could get such a range of pitch i could get (more range than before) just by doing a weave. The djembe is calling. You have a fever, and the only cure is more djembe...

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:17 PM
The nicest djembes I have heard have a beautiful low end to them, a resounding, in your chest sound. Awesome. I'd play now but my daughter is taking a nap!

She plays with me sometimes on my "upstairs kit," which consists of a rack of rototoms, an ice bell, and a 10" splash. The throne is a burlwood front cajon. Fun little "station" to play with.

Rue
05-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Well...I've had my snails 2 weeks...just cleaned the tank...

...Good Grief!!! Talk about POOP...

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Sounds like fun! I need to purchase/make a djun djun. i have already made a djembe, so now i want to go a little bigger. should be easier.

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:24 PM
You MADE one? How did you do that? Cool!

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, i have a friend who lives on a farm, so we went and found a big ole oak tree, cut it down, and i took a section, and i help him split the rest for firewood.

too it home, took all of the bark off with a machette, ad then used a chain saw to carve the rough outline. And then i made a draw knife out of a peice of steel and shaped it up a bit. i then decided i wanted a design on it, so i carved a rattle snake curledaround the bottom section, and his head went ontto the top section with his fangs beared. Then i stained the wood with some dark stain, and i glossed it with a spray on gloss. i bought a goat skin and a bucn of rope and two hoops online, and strung it up and tuned it myself.

It took alot of work, but it was really fun.

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Wow, I am totally impressed. Can you post a picture? Nice thick oak should have a great deep tone to it!

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Wow, I am totally impressed. Can you post a picture? Nice thick oak should have a great deep tone to it!

I tried to keep the walls about 1.5-2 inches thick, just for the sound. Unfortuatly, i have it at school, for the african song we are playing, but when i get it back, ill definatly post some pics, and maybe some sound clips. BTW the slap is ear peircing.

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Please do post some pics, I would really love to see it!

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Please do post some pics, I would really love to see it!

You, Jeff, and I need to get together and jam sometime.

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
LOVE a good jam session. So since this thread has gone SO far off course, let me ask you, what music do you listen to? Drum style? I am primarily a metal head, but I listen to everything except for country and most rap/pop. Have you heard of Mecca Bodega? I have seen them live and have all of their music. Just amazing stuff, being a percussionist I know you'd love them. Check out their website here:
http://www.meccabodega.com/

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I like rock and stuff. Dont listen to rap or country, unless im riding in a car of someone who only plays rap/country. Never heard of mecca bodega though, ill have to check them out.

EDIT: i just previewed some of thier songs, and i REALLY like kegger. Theyre playing on kegs right? Sounds kinda like "stomp". Ever heard of them? I missed out this year by 14 people to see the blueman group. Next year, im sleeping in line.

gm72
05-13-2007, 07:57 PM
You will love them. Absolutely amazing artists. We were listening to their newest album "Skin" last night. Great stuff.

Favorite bands now, but estimated to change at a moment's notice (my CD collection is over 1500):

Static X
Type O Negative
Dying Fetus
Misery Index

Rue
05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
...well! So much for discussing the ins and outs of snail poop!!!

cocoa_pleco
05-13-2007, 08:32 PM
...well! So much for discussing the ins and outs of snail poop!!!

lol, i just read the past 4 comments and im like "what the he11"

gm72
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. Guilty as charged.:rolleyes:

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. Guilty as charged.:rolleyes:

I plead the fifth...

gm72
05-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Darn, I should have thought of that!

Chrona
05-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Snails can poop just as much as a small fish, if not more. They are much more adept at finding food, keep in mind.

gm72
05-14-2007, 12:40 AM
So would you agree that one should treat them as a fish like, say a neon or serpae tetra?

Chrona
05-14-2007, 12:57 AM
So would you agree that one should treat them as a fish like, say a neon or serpae tetra?

Depends on how much algae/uneaten food you have in the tank, lol. But I'd say, judging from the "output" of my small ramshorns, that larger snails would probably be closer to a larger fish, say a black skirt tetra.

gm72
05-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Good information, thank you!