PDA

View Full Version : New Life Spectrum fish food

jcarr71
03-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I've read this being very highly recommended amongst users here and elsewhere. I would like to order some and will from Big Al's in my next order, but I'm finding the brand a little overwhelming. Does everyone really find the improvement the brand promises?

I'm not sure which formula(s) to purchase for one. My tanks consist of common livebearers and tetras, some rainbows, and a couple plecos as well as a cory school. All I have for cichlids are two apisto pairs and a convict pair. I'm also shortly ordering a micro-rasbora school for a nano tank and some peacock gudgeons for a different tank (as I have five tanks set up right now). Based on that, what formulas would you guys recommend?

Currently I feed a LFS brand flake mixed with some spirulina flake (I literally mix the two brands together and repackage them), frozen brine shrimp as well as blood worms, algae wafers, and shrimp pellets. That doesn't all go in the same tank, but all that goes into at least one tank once or twice a week. The web site says to stop feedng the fish other food, but I've never seen my apistos accept anything but frozen so that idea concerns me. Is there a chance they may accept a "higher quality" flake or pellet food?

Thanks for any help.

toddnbecka
03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I feed all my fish NLS pellets as a staple diet. They occasionally get spirulina-based veggie flake and frozen bloodworms, and some veggies for the BN pleco's. I use .5mm Grow and 1mm Cichlid formula pellets. Even the L-204's (wood-eating Panaques) eat the Cichlid pellets w/out any problems.
I have a variety of fish, from African and SA cichlids to several different types of pleco's, polka-dot loaches, even a betta. Everything but the endler's livebearers thrive on the NLS. The endler's are fed mainly earthworm flake because there are so many small fry, and it would be too time-consuming to grind enough Grow formula pellets into powder for them.
I buy it in 5 lb buckets, and sell some for $1/oz to move it along. If you want to try some of either or both I can send up to 13 oz First Class Mail.

Sarkazmo
03-24-2010, 09:29 AM
I love the stuff. ALL the fish that I've fed NLS to have amazing colours. The Bettas are brighter and are even more aggressive! When it's feeding time all of them go nuts for the stuff.

Really, my only complaint about NLS is that it doesn't float for long. I think it needs to float quite a bit longer for fish like Betta.

Sark

Sark

labnjab
03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
NLS is awesome. We use them at the main diet for all our fish. Goldfish get the goldfish pellets while our community tank, beta and reef get the saltwater community formula. Even our herbivore foxface rabbitfish eats them and he loves nls more then algae

I also know of a guy who feeds them to his mandarin fish, which is a saltwater fish that usually will only eat live copods. it goes crazy for nls