PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Fertilizer Contents?

Dacotah7
03-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Below is the information on a common brand of multi-purpose fertilier. Concerning chemistry, I know one must be very careful as even very minute amounts of some things can be toxic to life forms, but the following concentrations are so small it is a wonder they make a difference.

Is it just I, or does it appear as a rip-off? The concentrations are so small, it seems like it would hardly matter if one used it or not. The price for 500ml / 17 oz is $8.29

Complete multi-nutrient source for planted aquariums in one bottle. Contains iron and iodine. Designed to support long-term health and growth. One simple solution for complete plant husbandry.
Treats up to 5,000 gallons.

This liquid will help establish water chemistry conductive to long-term plant health and growth.
Shake well before using.
Basic: For the first 3 to 5 weeks of use, add 5ml (1 capful) to each 50 gallons of aquarium water once each week; increase dosage thereafter depending upon perceived nutrient needs of plants.
Densely-planted aquaria and/or those that enjoy rapid plant growth (such as aquaria with intense lighting and CO2 supplementation) may benefit from more frequent supplementation.

Source of nutrients:
Potassium sulfate, calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate, potassium iodide, iron EDTA, zinc sulfate, manganese chloride, sodium tetraborate, copper sulfate, cobalt chloride, sodium molybdate.
Other ingredients:
Purified water, nickel chloride.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Potassium as soluble potash - (min) 0.48%
Boron - 0.00006%
Carbon - 0.005%
Calcium - 0.14%
Chlorine - 0.39%
Cobalt - 0.000009%
Copper - 0.00003%
Iron - 0.003%
Magnesium - 0.05%
Manganese - 0.0002%
Molybdenum - 0.000009%
Sulfur - 0.16%
Zinc - 0.0004%

korith
03-24-2010, 03:31 AM
You could look at dry fertilizers, lasts a lot longer and for cheaper. With the added benefit of knowing exactly what you are putting into your tank, so you can modify the amount of ingredients if you need to. Here are two sites where you can read up on dry dosing and buy them http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/

Cliff
03-24-2010, 03:34 AM
I would think these small amounts actually do something for the plants. Two months ago I started using what I felt to be the best plants ferts out there, but I only used 1/2 doses.

1 to 2 weeks after I started using the ferts, my plants really started to take off. They are now growing so fast that I have trouble keeping up with them as a part of my weekly maintenance. Granted, I also improved my lighting a little and the quality of the water with weekly 50% water changes, but I think the ferts provided the real kick start here.

Zilla
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
If you really want to figure out if they do any good or not, the best thing to do would be to have your water tested. If you have no zinc, then yes, supplementing will do trick. If you have alot of zinc, what doesn't get used will simply go ignored.

While ferts & CO2 seem to act as a life line on this forum, they're meant to supplement, not act as life support. It's like taking a multi-vitamin while eating pizza and beer every night. For starters, most multi-vitamins don't do any good anyway and are just pooped out and the ones that do actually break down and do something, they are to supplement a healthy diet, not to fix all that is wrong with the bad diet.

Yes it's a really bad anaolgy, but plant ferts act much the same way. And of course companies are going to say to use more as that makes them more money.

If you want to look into a alternative method, you could research the IE method of dosing, but I'm not sure that is ideal either. I for one am not into using my tank as a labatory, but alot of people do and swear by it.

The other choice is to use potting soil and not worry about ferts at all until all the vitamins and mineral content of the soil is exhausted which is also a debatable subject.

Lady Hobbs
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
So many varibles go into liquid ferts. If you have fast growers, if your tank is planted to the max, etc. The dosing always asks for a certain dosage but if you have a tank of slow growers or newly established plants then you may have an algae outbreak. Too much of a balancing act, IMO.

My next quest is to order these plant tabs and forget the liquids.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquariumPlants_com_s_own_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_p/fert.htm

He has great reviews on his tabs and his statement that fertilizers kept out of the water column makes more sense to me since plants feed from their roots.

I liquid fert very, very seldom and when I do, only add 1/3 the amount. I don't know what your phosphate levels are but my tap water is high in phosphates so I need ferts that contain NO phosphates at all and these tabs make it possible to order tabs without it.

I have used Florish Tabs but they are very expensive, IMO. Nearly 75 cents each tab so I'm willing to give these in the link a shot.

annageckos
03-24-2010, 02:46 PM
My next quest is to order these plant tabs and forget the liquids.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquariumPlants_com_s_own_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_p/fert.htm

He has great reviews on his tabs and his statement that fertilizers kept out of the water column makes more sense to me since plants feed from their roots.

I use/use to use these root tabs, and they are really good. But the custermer servious is non exsistant. The last order I placed took almost a month to get to me, and it was only for two bottles of root tabs. And the shipping!! It cost them less than a dollar to ship, they charged almost $10. I understand shipping and handling, but that is a ripoff. And when I emailed them asking if my order was shipped I didn't get a reply.

Ok, on topic, I dose liqiud ferts. But I am now dosing at about 1/2 the recommended dose, and I have started to use dry ferts and mix my own. The %'s are low because they are only needed in small amounts. I dose both root tabs and liquid because some plants are root feeders and some feed through thier leaves.

Lady Hobbs
03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Must have been a back order or some kind of problem. I have bought all their substrate and gotten it within 5 days. Anywhere you order one or two items, you pay a set shipping charge. If you order one heater from anyone, you will pay shipping nearly as much as if you ordered 8 items.

I recently had to do the same thing when I ordered some medicated food. Ordering one item just isn't worth the cost.

Sarkazmo
03-24-2010, 11:16 PM

Mosses, Hornwort, most floating plants, and more, get their nutrients directly from the water column as some of the above don't even have roots.

Some plants are heavy root feeders, others take from the column and roots, and still others get everything from the water column.

Different plants require different methods of supplementation and different levels of supplementation.

Dose for your plants.

Sark