PDA

View Full Version : Ophicephalus micropeltes (Toman or Snake Head)

dannie
03-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Dear Respected Colleagues, Greetings from the Pulau Banding Foundation in Perak, Malaysia. I seek help on the disease control on the snake head that I have been rearing at our research facility. At the offset, let me say that I am no fish expert. My problem is this: We have been trying to rear the snake head at our facility in concret tanks. We have had these fish for the last many months. Hoever recently, I have noted that these fishes have a moldy skin decoloration and also I have been told that they are infested by a certain lice that have been slowly killing them off. Please help! I need information on how this situation can be remedied and what treatment I should resort to ensure these fishes will survive. Some of these fishes have attained a size of more than two feet and weigh about 1-2 Kg. Your help will be most appreciated. Warm regards. dannie

rhonin
03-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Sorry Dannie but I really am not familiar with these types of fish.

I'm sure someone here will come up with some information for you.

Thanks and welcome to the AC!

:22:

tanks4thememories
03-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Dear Respected Colleagues, Greetings from the Pulau Banding Foundation in Perak, Malaysia. I seek help on the disease control on the snake head that I have been rearing at our research facility. At the offset, let me say that I am no fish expert. My problem is this: We have been trying to rear the snake head at our facility in concret tanks. We have had these fish for the last many months. Hoever recently, I have noted that these fishes have a moldy skin decoloration and also I have been told that they are infested by a certain lice that have been slowly killing them off. Please help! I need information on how this situation can be remedied and what treatment I should resort to ensure these fishes will survive. Some of these fishes have attained a size of more than two feet and weigh about 1-2 Kg. Your help will be most appreciated. Warm regards. dannie

Please post the following:
scientific name of the fish you are referencing
Pictures of the suspected area of disease
Detailed description of symptoms
First time symptoms were observed
current behavior of fish
Tank size
Water parameters:
Ammo
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
Temp
Filtration system
Diet
Feeding schedule
Maintainance regimen

tanks4thememories
03-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Use a magnifying glass and look at the "moldy" area. Here is a common description of "Lice" - you can see red dots on the fish, or you can see transparent disc shaped crustaceans

See above post we need more information to best help you.

dannie
04-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Dear Respected Colleagues, Thanks for the kind replies. I have mananged to contact the Fresh Water Fisheries Research Centre here in Malaysia and they have agreed to look into this problem. Cheers. dannie