PDA

View Full Version : shrimp noob

missusthinksimashrimpgeek
03-23-2010, 10:14 PM
I've had ghost shrimp now for 4 months, in that time I've bought 3 which have all still survived. A month later I got 4 more, 1 died after day 1, another just evaporated lol.
Since then none have died, 2 have gone cloudy over the past week
but still happliy pottering around.
None have shown any signs of a saddle or eggs, 2 are small an thin and 3 are woppers, @ 1st they where hiding behind the pump but have managed to evict them to the large plant on the otherside
Of the tank, only today have I put in a safe hiding place only the ghost shrimp can get in and out of.
Basically I've read it is possible to breed them if they a safe area to reproduce otherwise they will not show eggs, has any 1 managed to breed them in a community tank @ all??? Ty

korith
03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Is possibly to breed them, but would be very difficult in a community tank. The ghost shrimp go through a larval stage, and stay near the top of the tank so that leads them to ending up as food for the fish. Also the other problem is having enough microflora and other stuff in the water column for the baby shrimp to feed off of, while they grow out of the larval stage. Many shrimp get lumped into the name "ghost shrimp" so depending on the species you have, you may or may not need a brackish tank in order to raise the ghost shrimp successfully ideally in a tank by themselves. Would need to put something like a sponge over the filter intake.

03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Even if most do end up as food I would be happy with the eco cycle going on in the tank, also I can't seem to find much about wood shrimp,
You wouldn't happen to know anything about them? Also ty for the speedy reply to my post

korith
03-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Even if most do end up as food I would be happy with the eco cycle going on in the tank, also I can't seem to find much about wood shrimp,
You wouldn't happen to know anything about them? Also ty for the speedy reply to my post

Just know that they are filter feeders. Meaning they feed off of whatever they can find in the water column. If they are feeding off substrate/glass it means they aren't getting enough from the water. petshrimp.com is a decent site with good info about the different shrimp.

03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks 4 the site will check it, both wood shrimp usually filter off the water, I'd read that crushing flake to dust is good 4 them so been doing that for a while now,
Right now 1 is an the other has just found his way into the lil hide away I put in 4 the ghost shrimp lol sods law

Sarkazmo
03-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Typically if you want shrimp to breed successfully then you need a larger group. Sure they'll breed as just a pair but it's more likely to get breeding when you have a larger group. GS are a little harder to breed than Red Cherry Shrimp and are more aggressive and, as noted above, go through a larval stage whereas RCS are born as miniatures of the adults.

If your GS has turned white then it's not long for this world.

Sark