PDA

View Full Version : How Much Food for RCS?

The Curious
03-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Heya AC...just got my dozen RCS from aquabid.com and they are still pretty young. I'm getting 6 more adults from the lfs tomorrow, and the only other tankmates are a few small snails, and a single Otto. I've got a few plants and a large amount of willow moss on the left side of my tank. The RCS immediately dissapeared into the moss, and I have yet to see more than 1 at a time since. I just replaced my pea gravel substrate with a black sand, since I had heard that RCS get redder if they have a dark substrate.

I'm running 2 sponge filters, a heater, and 15watts of light.

Well, thats the set-up...my question is how much should I be feeding this tank? I am experienced with feeding fish, but I know that shrimp need much less food. I have sinking algea discs for plecos, normal flake food, and these lil betta bites. What amount of what food is best?

Again thanks...and here is the new set-up
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/Tanks/0321101707-00.jpg
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/Tanks/0321101706-00.jpg
(The guppies and cory are no longer in the tank, just snails, RCS, and an Otto)
And I just got 30 lil Marimo Balls for all my tanks...I like them alot
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/Tanks/0323100941-00.jpg

Sarkazmo
03-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Looks like a nice little tank! Please tell me that your filters are cycled.

RCS will LOVE those Marimo Balls and also the Willow Moss. After a couple days of acclimating to the tank they'll be out and EVERYWHERE. I hope you have good luck with the Willow Moss as from what I just recently read it needs moderate to low light but needs quite a bit of CO2 to do really well. If the tips start turning brown, you'll know it's not getting enough CO2.

Be sure to keep your snail population in check as they produce a ton more waste than the shrimp.

As far as feeding goes... I fed mine about once every two to three days. I'd put enough in that they should be well fed but nothing more than they can consume in say about 8 hours or so. They're tiny and take tiny bites but they'll eat just about anything. I fed Hikari and then NLS. Occasionally I'd give them part of a small algae wafer. Virtually anything you put in the tank that's even remotely edible will be taken care of by the RCS or the snails. Too much food and your snail population will explode.

Sark

The Curious
03-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Cool, yeah i just got a nano CO2 diffuser, just need to get some yeast packs to start it up. I've had the moss for awhile now and it has been thriving. Good stuff.

The Curious
03-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Looks like a nice little tank! Please tell me that your filters are cycled.

After a couple days of acclimating to the tank they'll be out and EVERYWHERE.

Be sure to keep your snail population in check as they produce a ton more waste than the shrimp.

I had guppies in the tank for a month with 1 sponge filter running, the second I just put in a few days ago, so I should be cycled fine.

Yeah, i hope they get used to their surroundings and decide to show themselves soon, I figured they would once they get comfortable.

The snails will become food for my turtle soon, so they are no worry.

The Curious
03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
I know I keep posting on my own thread...but could 4-6 neon or cardinal or pristella tetras go in this tank? Or would they eat a majority of the rcs babies?

Considering there is such a large mass of moss on one side of the tank I thought the rcs would still be able to multiply in relative peace with 4-6 lil tetras.

What do you guys think?

annageckos
03-23-2010, 06:25 PM
The fish will eat the young shrimp. I wouldn't add any fish if you want to get young from your shrimp.

korith
03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Very few fish can work in a shrimp tank. I have boraras maculatus/merah/brigittae in a thriving shrimp tank that work out well enough, though these fish are about 3/4" in size.

For feeding the shrimp, I usually feed maybe twice a week. They eat the leftovers that make it to the bottom of the tank and the occasional algae wafer. Sometimes I will add in a piece of zucchini. It doesn't take much to feed the shrimp, a little goes an extremely long way.

Wild Turkey
03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Im feeding mine daily at this point, however they only get 1 pellet thats around 1mm in diameter, so very little.

When i feed regular sized pellets I would feed around twice a week. Over feeding can quickly become a real pita in a shrimp tank, especially since you generally cant use a traditional siphon to clean. With that in mind, I would start out feeding less than what you feel is adequate and work your way up.

The Curious
03-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I might actually be moving these rcs to a 4 gallon tank that I built in order to clear up this 10 for a group of small tetra or something. Thanks for all the feeding and stocking info for the rcs everyone. I know I ask too many stupid questions, but thanks for the answers.

korith
03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
I might actually be moving these rcs to a 4 gallon tank that I built in order to clear up this 10 for a group of small tetra or something. Thanks for all the feeding and stocking info for the rcs everyone. I know I ask too many stupid questions, but thanks for the answers.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. At least you are asking and learning. I think we all went through that phase or still do:p