PDA

View Full Version : shrimp dying

toysrus
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
My shrimp were doing pretty good,without knowing what kind of food they thrive on.
But since the first water change one of them wasn't looking to good.I relocated it to another tank that still has lively shrimp activity, and it started recovering.
All I can think of the water change removed it's food source? Or too big of a water change?First off there was plenty of algae and some still remained. I have been feeding the fish flakes but the water change shouldn't hurt the shrimp will it?
The relocation tank had a water change the same day.
Are shrimp that fragile?

Wild Turkey
03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
What are the parameters of the tank and tap?

Shrimp can be very sensitive but something is going on i think.

rich311k
03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
A water change would not bother them, a change in water parameters would. Were the temperature and KH etc. close in the tank and the change water?

toysrus
03-23-2010, 01:26 PM
The tap parameters PH close to neutral,KH is always the same (4)71.6 ppm. I'm thinking with all this rain we're getting the water supply could be heavy with copper,but that don't stand to reason with 1 tank good and the other bad for the shrimp.The water change is the only difference in water parameter changes I can list. The PH in the tanks are 7.4 no trates,trites or ammonia either.No temp. changes either.
I wonder if using bottled spring water will improve my water parameters?
Do I need to add de-chlorinater to spring water?
Why don't of all places this spell check know how to spell de-chlorinator?

toysrus
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
A snail could have crept up on em.I didn't think the shrimp being bigger than the snail would be in jeopardy.Do you think that's what happened?

toysrus
03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
If a shrimp loses an arm it will it grow back?
They do in the ocean!

rich311k
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
When they molt the arm will be replaced.

Wild Turkey
03-23-2010, 02:44 PM
A snail could have crept up on em.I didn't think the shrimp being bigger than the snail would be in jeopardy.Do you think that's what happened?

Thats not gonna be it I dont think. Never seen a snail take down a shrimp like that.

In theory rain water shouldnt have copper in it becase copper doesnt evaporate, but dont quote me im no geographer. If you add rain water or spring water it will make things worse if it is indeed a ph issue.

Did you test the the tap for ammonia?

Zilla
03-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Thats not gonna be it I dont think. Never seen a snail take down a shrimp like that.

In theory rain water shouldnt have copper in it becase copper doesnt evaporate, but dont quote me im no geographer. If you add rain water or spring water it will make things worse if it is indeed a ph issue.

Did you test the the tap for ammonia?

I'm going to take a guess that this stock related and possibly a water quality issue.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=60787 it looks like he has a Jewel cichlid in a 10 gallon. I could be wrong, but it certainly looks like a Jewel.

toysrus
03-24-2010, 01:35 PM
No I traded the jewel cichlid. Not enough room for the aggravating little angel anyway. I think the shrimp could have been in poor health when I brought them home. I got 3 of them 1 small one that I witnessed being eaten by the blue snail, and then one of the big ones got sick I tried nursing it back but it didn't pay off and died yesterday.
I have 1 left and it's looking pretty healthy still. I got different colored snails and divided them evenly between 2 tanks.So in one tank I got 1 blue,1 gold. In another tank I got 1 gold,1black. One of the gold ones had babies attached to somehow so now I got about 5 baby golds in one tank,with the last shrimp.

Wild Turkey
03-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Did you check the underside of your hood for old egg clutches?

Sarkazmo
03-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Ummm... what kind of shrimp are these, I didn't see it mentioned.

Snails (and shrimp for that matter) will eat dead shrimp but I don't think and have never seen one take down a snail. With my RCS if anything touches them they move so fast that it looks like it transported itself through the ether of the cosmos to two inches away instantaneously! heh.

Shrimp are VERY sensitive to water parameters and sudden changes in those. You pretty much need pristine water to keep them successfully.

Sark

toysrus
03-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Did you check the underside of your hood for old egg clutches?Egg clutch's? From what? In order of events, I'll just to try to answer your question. the tank I'm finding baby snails in which I mostly eliminated already didn't even have an outbreak of mystery snails. My other tank had alot of mystery snails,and I used a jewel cichlid, to do the job :) I admit it don't make alot of sense to rid myself of a snail problem just to add some big ones afterwards but it just worked out that way. :hmm3grin2orange:

toysrus
03-25-2010, 12:00 AM

Snails (and shrimp for that matter) will eat dead shrimp but I don't think and have never seen one take down a snail. With my RCS if anything touches them they move so fast that it looks like it transported itself through the ether of the cosmos to two inches away instantaneously! heh.

Shrimp are VERY sensitive to water parameters and sudden changes in those. You pretty much need pristine water to keep them successfully.

SarkYeah, I hear ya sark! I thought less about it after I witnessed the snail with the small shrimp in his mouth though.Figured it had to be sick in the first place,but it didn't show when I added em to the tank.What else could it have been?

toysrus
03-25-2010, 12:01 AM

SarkGhost Shrimp

toysrus
03-25-2010, 12:04 AM
If anyone else thinks there's a water quality issue, then find a fix for diatoms and brush algae.Those are the only foreign substances in my water. Both tanks have crystal clear water with adequate parameters. Accidents can happen to anyone so don't take it out on me,I'm innocent.