PDA

View Full Version : new box fish

novice
05-13-2007, 12:18 AM
i brought a new box fish today but when i put him in the tank (lights off) every thing was fine. about 40 minutes later i put the lights back on one of my yellow tail damsils the biggest one went over to the box fish and keep'd nipping at him then went crazy attacking every thing in the tank. even the hermit crabs the clowns every thing so ive got a bit of glass to seperate him from the rest. eney body no why his gone like this. i no in the wild its deffence or what evey but the ohter fish are fine with the box fish. is my only option to take the damsil back to the shop becouse i dont want to take back the box fish his cute. can eney body help

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Damsels are notorioius for being agressive. Not much will fit with a damsel unless you have a large enough tank so they arent always seeing eachother.

novice
05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Damsels are notorioius for being agressive. Not much will fit with a damsel unless you have a large enough tank so they arent always seeing eachother. mm ok but i've got a 30gal tank and all the fish i got are small lol 3 inc max but the damsel goes out of his way to nipp at the box and the ohter damsel is fine with him. i just cant undrestand how ones fine and the ohter just gone commpletely crazy. attackin every thing. why has he startd attackin the crabs and clowns he was fine before mr box came along.

unleashed
05-13-2007, 07:24 PM
just a word of caution about box fish...... when they die/stressed, they are notorious for secreting their slime coat which can/will wipe out your tank. Someone I know had a small 3" box fish and when it died, it took everything in his 200g tank with it (all inverts survived)

I would recommend getting rid of the damsel if you want your box fish to survive

Rue
05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I thought box fish - because they're not very fast or aggressive...need a species only tank...or with very easy-going tankmates...

novice
05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
just to end this post i've taken the damsel back to the shop. the guy at the shop said it was ok to bring him back. thank god thanks for the advice.