PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon stocking question

SW Florida Kid
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Could I put 8 electric yellow cichlids, 8 red zebra cichlids, and 8 electric blue cichlids together in a 55 gallon tank?

jackson17
03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Could I put 8 electric yellow cichlids, 8 red zebra cichlids, and 8 electric blue cichlids together in a 55 gallon tank?

That is A LOT of very aggressive, decent size fish. I don't think it would work. But maybe wrong(and thinking of different fish possibly?)

Wait till another member post but I think thats to much

cichlids209
03-22-2010, 08:10 PM

are the electric blue do you mean cobalt blue mbuna or a cobalt blue peacock ?

and i would do 5 each 24 is kind of alot for a 55 but you could do 8 each if you would like ..

Aydreean
03-22-2010, 08:12 PM
like dane said, 24 is a little much for a 55. I have heard 15-18 to be an appropriate size for a mixed group.

SW Florida Kid
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
like dane said, 24 is a little much for a 55. I have heard 15-18 to be an appropriate size for a mixed group.

So I could do 6 of each and be fine then?

BiGBlak
03-22-2010, 08:18 PM
to add im trying to figure out what schooling fish can hang with the high oh levels that african cichlids need ? or is there any that can ? i was looking into black skirt tetras? im trying to get a few cichlid like florida kid but fill in the rest with a schooling type. or are cichlids to agressive ?

Zilla
03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
to add im trying to figure out what schooling fish can hang with the high oh levels that african cichlids need ? or is there any that can ? i was looking into black skirt tetras? im trying to get a few cichlid like florida kid but fill in the rest with a schooling type. or are cichlids to agressive ?

No, black skirts & cichlids do not work.

BiGBlak
03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
No, black skirts & cichlids do not work.
i found that out looking at the ph lvls each require but i said that to give an idea of what look of schooling fish i would like . im not really into the very small schooling fish . but i wanted to know if there where any type that can ?

Zilla
03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
i found that out looking at the ph lvls each require but i said that to give an idea of what look of schooling fish i would like . im not really into the very small schooling fish . but i wanted to know if there where any type that can ?

Unless you wanted to do something with drawf cichlids such as Rams, there isn't much to choose from in terms of trying to mix tetras and cichlids together.

Angelfish are a cichlid and can be put into a community tank, however, some of them will eat smaller fish and if you get a pair, they will beat up on other fish in the tank.

Yellow Labs or Electric Yellows are fairly mellow as far as cichlids go, but you cannot put them in with tetras.

i_am_511
03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
i thought africans cichlids need to be overstocked

cichlids209
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM
i thought africans cichlids need to be overstocked

in general they do, you don't always "have too" though if you dont have alot of aggression .. but 15 african cichlids in a 55 is already overstocked

SW Florida Kid
03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
in general they do, you don't always "have too" though if you dont have alot of aggression .. but 15 african cichlids in a 55 is already overstocked

They only get to be 4 inches... so how many would be the max amount of electric yellow and electric blue and red zebras???

cichlids209
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
They only get to be 4 inches... so how many would be the max amount of electric yellow and electric blue and red zebras???

electric yellow and red zebra's both get 5-6 inches big ,and i still not sure what u mean by electric blue ? either way the max is up to you really , 15 is plenty but you could do 8 each . If your willing to keep up maintenance and up your filtration if insufficient .

SW Florida Kid
03-22-2010, 10:50 PM
electric yellow and red zebra's both get 5-6 inches big ,and i still not sure what u mean by electric blue ? either way the max is up to you really , 15 is plenty but you could do 8 each . If your willing to keep up maintenance and up your filtration if insufficient .

Sciaenochromis ahli

http://aquariums-info.com/Common_Tropical_Fish/Cichlids/African/sciaenofryeri_ahli.jpg

cichlids209
03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Sciaenochromis ahli

http://aquariums-info.com/Common_Tropical_Fish/Cichlids/African/sciaenofryeri_ahli.jpg

ok thanks :)

If i were you i would try to find a different species to go with just based on a couple of things ..

check this out http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/electricbluehap.php

I think your tank would be to small for 5 or 8 or them . It's a open water hap they will get alot bigger than the red zebra and yellow labs .also they need caves and open water area's as the mbuna like extensive rock piles with caves and crevices .

SW Florida Kid
03-23-2010, 12:42 AM
ok thanks :)

If i were you i would try to find a different species to go with just based on a couple of things ..

check this out http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/electricbluehap.php

I think your tank would be to small for 5 or 8 or them . It's a open water hap they will get alot bigger than the red zebra and yellow labs .also they need caves and open water area's as the mbuna like extensive rock piles with caves and crevices .

So I guess, just stay with Electric Yellows and Red Zebras? Maybe Cobalt Blue Zebras too.

I like the orange, yellow and blue cichlids. I want 6 cobalt blues, 6 yellows, and 6 red zebras

cichlids209
03-23-2010, 12:57 AM
So I guess, just stay with Electric Yellows and Red Zebras? Maybe Cobalt Blue Zebras too.

I like the orange, yellow and blue cichlids. I want 6 cobalt blues, 6 yellows, and 6 red zebras

that shouldnt be a problem , thumbs2: also i would add the yellow labs first then maybe a week later add the cobalts then another week add the red zebras . those are all great fish btw .

SW Florida Kid
03-23-2010, 11:51 AM
that shouldnt be a problem , thumbs2: also i would add the yellow labs first then maybe a week later add the cobalts then another week add the red zebras . those are all great fish btw .

How many do you have in your 135 gallon? And which ones? =)

SW Florida Kid
03-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Thanks man... so you honestly think that 18 total would be fine for my 55 gallon?

6 electric yellows
6 cobalt blues
6 red zebra

toddnbecka
03-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Sex ratios are important too, ideally you want 1 male and 3-4 females of each species. However, African cichlids produce more male fry than female, so you aren't likely to get the ideal ratio.
Alternatively you could do saulosi for the yellow and blue.

SW Florida Kid
03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
hmmm... ok. I'm asking this same question on two seperate forums, the AC and Fishforums.com

From the information that I have gathered, I have heard conflicting arguements.

Some state that you need to have at least 4-5 of each species to prevent bullying.

Some state that minor overcrowding is good so that no one gets bullied.

Some state that minor overcrowding is bad because of too many males.

This one guy even said, In a 55, eventually (and it could be several years) you will end up with a fish chewing the tails off other because he wants a bigger territory to himself. If you keep mbuna in a 55, have a plan to rehome extra males and a hospital tank for chewed fish.

Now... i know that fish are picky little creatures. They need the exact params to be stress free, but am I over-analyzing this or something? Haha... maybe too much information is very bad. I'm getting frustrated.

I've raised dogs, guinea pigs, turtles, and the whole nine yards, but fish seem like over-needy alien creatures after hearing all of this infromation about mbunas.

toddnbecka
03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Have you checked out this site? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/index.php
You would likely find multiple posts regarding the same questions there, or at least get answers from someone who has tried it already. thumbs2: