PDA

View Full Version : Monday Morning Sigh of Relief

rhonin
03-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Last night I was doing one of my favorite things, watching my Calvus/Comps chow down on dinner thumbs2:

Noticed I had not seen one of the little guys so started looking (1.75" Gold Faced Orange Fin).

After a bit of looking, including the usual hiding places and various spots, I concluded I was being outsmarted and he was chuckling "up his fin" at me :22:

This morning I got to thinking and had another go at it.
Still could not find him. Worry now enters the picture...:sconfused:

Broke out the mag lite and really started searching.
Good news: found him
Bad news: wedged himself into a crack in the driftwood and could not get out. No way to gently remove hime either.
* For those who know comps, when stressed they will flex and lock themselves into place.

Time to play surgeon. Tree surgeon that is.

I carefully wedged a flathead screw driver into an adjoining aligned crack and working it back and forth was able to spread the crack open. This opened up his crack a bit.

Boing! Out popped the little dude.
Other that some abrasion to his top fin, he looks in great shape.

I'll keep a close eye on him to ensure no lasting damage or hospitalize him if needed.

All in all, an actual Monday morning with a great outcome!! :19:

Northernguy
03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
A few extra water changes this week wouldn't hurt.
Glad to hear you got it out!
I have a large peice of driftwood with a huge hole that goes deep inside,I shoved a good sized rock up in the hole and banged it in place.lol
It keeps my pleco out of it and it keeps the wood anchored down well.

j0hnh0lmes
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
At least you found him. I try not to let there be any little cracks or anything that the fish can get into & get stuck, but there is always that one.

rhonin
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
A few extra water changes this week wouldn't hurt.
Glad to hear you got it out!
I have a large peice of driftwood with a huge hole that goes deep inside,I shoved a good sized rock up in the hole and banged it in place.lol
It keeps my pleco out of it and it keeps the wood anchored down well.

Definitely!
I'm contemplating ways to close off the crack.
Interstingly I would not thought he could fit in there in the first place!

thumbs2:

rhonin
03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
At least you found him. I try not to let there be any little cracks or anything that the fish can get into & get stuck, but there is always that one.

I also try to minimize the spots my tank buddies can get themselves in trouble with.

Still, even after all these years and many tanks, they still find ways.

Kind of like kids. :22: