PDA

View Full Version : Shortnose gar pick-up

Demjor19
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Yesterday I found very nice little Shortnose Gar (about 5" long) and decided to pick him up. They are definitely one of the less common gars found in the hobby as well as one of the most difficult to keep.

I haven't takent any pics yet, as he is still stressed and nearly bouncing off the glass everytime I go near the tank (this is what kills most of the shortnose in the hobby). They are extremely skittish (often times causing spinal injuries) and they are very finicky feeders as well. Once he has settled, I'll be sure to post some pics.

Northernguy
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Sounds like a wonderful pick up!thumbs2:
Good luck with it.
I hope you have it in a padded tank!:19: lol

Crispy
03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Best of luck with your sweet pickup! Love the gars! :fish: Will be waiting for pics. :)

I hope it eats well for you.

Red
03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Nice pickup jordan!

Demjor19
03-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Sorry for the long delay! I was in Alabama for business and finally got back to Ohio and had some time to catch up and chill out. The Shortnose is finally eating bloodworms and seems to be doing great! They can be a pain in the butt to get feeding (especially on non-live foods). Anyways...here are some pics from the qt tank.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN3771.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN3784.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN3786.jpg

...also...here is another monster to be, that I picked up! He is also feeding on shrimp and bloodworms!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN3800.jpg

Northernguy
03-28-2010, 05:04 AM
I have been very tempted to get another clown knife! lol
I once had an albino.
What a great looking fish! I love the brilliant silver and black on yours!thumbs2:
The gars are look great too!

Demjor19
03-28-2010, 05:08 AM
I have been very tempted to get another clown knife! lol
I once had an albino.
What a great looking fish! I love the brilliant silver and black on yours!thumbs2:
The gars are look great too!

Thanks! The store where I got the CK had one that was about 24" and it forced me get him! I have always loved them and this one seems to have some pretty nice markings.

Northernguy
03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
How big is the one in the pic?
It looks to be about 6-8" at the moment.
Mine grew fast up to a foot long but slowed after that.I would have loved to see it grow but my snakeheads but an end to that.
( I listened to lfs advice at the time)(blush)

Demjor19
03-28-2010, 04:16 PM
How big is the one in the pic?
It looks to be about 6-8" at the moment.
Mine grew fast up to a foot long but slowed after that.I would have loved to see it grow but my snakeheads but an end to that.
( I listened to lfs advice at the time)(blush)

This one is just a baby! He is only about 4" at the moment. I used to have one several years ago, but I thought he was bullying some of my other fish, so I rehomed him. After he was gone and the bullying continued...I realized it was not the knife doing the bullying. Long story short...I have always wanted another clown knife and the pattern and color on this one was enough for me to break down and get him! I can't wait to see him all grown up!

Do you have any pics of your old albino one? I have always liked them too!

Northernguy
03-29-2010, 04:56 AM
I have a pic somewhere but its the old fashioned kind.Printed!lol
I have to find that box.:hmm3grin2orange: lol Its in amongst many others!

Spartanhockey89
03-29-2010, 04:24 PM
o if only I had the room. Me and my Dad fish for these things, and they put up quite a fight. I really would like to keep one or a couple, but they'd get too big to go with my Aro. The knife looks really cool too

Demjor19
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
o if only I had the room. Me and my Dad fish for these things, and they put up quite a fight. I really would like to keep one or a couple, but they'd get too big to go with my Aro. The knife looks really cool too

I keep all of my gars with a Silver Arowana. Captive raised gars don't typically grow as large as they do in the wild. By the way...in NY you are catching Longnose Gar.

Spartanhockey89
03-30-2010, 02:29 PM
True, sorry forgot about that. I know the shortnose are really rare, nice find. I just don't have the room for one. Right?

Demjor19
03-30-2010, 03:48 PM
True, sorry forgot about that. I know the shortnose are really rare, nice find. I just don't have the room for one. Right?

Thanks!

I have no idea what size tank you have and how it's stocked. You may have room for some species of gar?

skullduggery1
01-05-2011, 01:58 AM
My two gar eat ,thawed shrimp,scallops,pellets and feeders,and medium tin foil barbs,a 7 inch clown knife,baby cutteri cichlids.quite a varied diet.(a shortnose,and a florida gar)