PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Ctenopoma

Jlorenzo
03-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Anyone keep these before? I am really leaning towards one to go in my 55 (still cycling). I was also thinking of a Senegal Bichir and possibly a buffalo head. How does that sound?

Northernguy
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
The Buffalo head is an african cichlid and requires much harder water than the the bichir and the the leopard ctenopoma.
Not really a good mix!

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile132.html

Oscar_freak12321
03-22-2010, 02:42 PM
^^Agreed. Plus dino bichirs get a little large for a 55(at least 1 foot if my memory is correct). A leopard ctenopoma could work in there but I don't think the other two will.

MCHRKiller
03-22-2010, 05:58 PM
The Senegal Bichir is a good choice for a 55G actually, they will top out around 9" realistically and arnt to heavy bodied like some of the other bichirs out there. It would work well with a Leopard Ctenopoma. But definatly leave that african out of the mix, definatly not compatible with the other two species.

hari-goshi
03-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Just to clarify , the buffalo head is an african but not a rift lake cichlid. They are a riverine cichlid and would actually do better with a neutral ph. With that said they also have an underdeveloped swim bladder so they spend much of their time scooting around the bottom of the tank , meaning it would likely be a matter of time before the senegal decided to "taste" it. I wouldnt mix the two for fear of damage to the buffalo head.

smaug
03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
The bush fish will work great in a 55.Ive not kept bichir.I do have a bush fish and he is doing great,mine eats pellet food very regularly and I occasionally treat him with captured smalls from my pond.

Oscar_freak12321
03-23-2010, 12:35 AM
The Senegal Bichir is a good choice for a 55G actually, they will top out around 9" realistically and arnt to heavy bodied like some of the other bichirs out there. It would work well with a Leopard Ctenopoma. But definatly leave that african out of the mix, definatly not compatible with the other two species.

I stand corrected. :22:

Jlorenzo
03-23-2010, 06:48 AM
cool so no african, thats fine I really just wanted the Leop and the bichir.

MCHRKiller
03-23-2010, 07:01 AM
You could add another fish or a small group of something to large for the bichir to eat. Smaller species of rainbows might be nice :22:

Jlorenzo
03-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Yes I was thinking of something along those lines. Maybe a pair of Gouramis or some silver dollars. Although I do plan on the tank being heavily planted, last time I kept silver dollars I remember them devouring most of my plants.

Jlorenzo
03-23-2010, 08:05 AM
by the way MCHRkiller, your tanks are amazing.

MCHRKiller
03-23-2010, 05:00 PM

SDs even if fed heavily on fruits and veggies will still mow down any plant out there, Ive had them eat anubias and fern...moss might be safe. lol