PDA

View Full Version : A Pic of my Indian Cichlid

nanaglen2001
05-12-2007, 07:20 PM
or scientificaly known as "Etroplus maculatus"

Not easy to get those guys here in Germany. It was sheer luck that I just the last 3 fish in my fav. pet shop.

They are still little babies, a little bit shy and colorless.

But they are eating very good and behave as healthy fish should do.

sushant
05-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Etroplus maculatus is the scientific name of orange chromide but this looks like a jewel cichlid.

nanaglen2001
05-13-2007, 08:14 AM
No its a real Etroplus maculatus, but its its "original" color.

When I look very closely, I can even see some hints of very light golden stripes on their bodies.

I bought these animals at a very good LFS, the owners two nice ladies are very enthusiastic about fish, I bet even worse than us, so they know exactly what they sell.

kimmers318
05-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Congratulations on your new babies, they are very nice looking! Can you give us some more info on them?

Rue
05-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Very nice!

I've been to Germany a couple of times...but never in the petstores (too busy touring castles and churches)...

...how are they run? Are the animals well looked after as a rule?

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Thats a cool looking fish! How big is he, and how big is he suposed to get?

nanaglen2001
05-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Those Fish... My information is from Google, they need real hard water, with a PH going direction 8, they dont digg and the need plants. Max length about 10 cm.

I keep them just about a week, so I cant give you peronal experience yet, only that the eat like wolfesthumbs2:

Petshops in germany, I guess from all I read in this forum, they are about the same as in the USA, some are really good, others....dont talk about them. But I found out that its much easier in Germany to get real plants, every petshop has at least 2 or 3 tanks packed with plants.

You get the whole "collection" of fish, guppies, platies, kilis, betas, cichlids from Africa and America, cories, catfishes in all sizes, from the normal Loricaridae up to those monsters which will become longer than 3 feet, everything.

Very popular here are invertebrates, all kind of freshwater lobsters, tiny shrimps, all kind of snails. In bigger stores you even find those freshwater "Mantas". Saltwaterfish in all colors and sizes too, including corals, living stones etc etc etc.

Near my living place there are 2 petshops, really big ones. One even calls itselfs the biggest shop at least in Europe. There one feels like in heaven, there you find absolutely everything which is on the market (technicaly at least). Thi9s shop is called Zoo Zajac. I remember one member from Canada has the catalogue. For me ist one hour driving:19:

NOT common in Germany are tanks with plastic plants, mostly you find more or less well planted tanks.

Drumachine09
05-13-2007, 08:07 PM
No plastic plants? Thats odd.

Rue
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
...I LUV catalogues...

...denken Sie das jemand mir ein schicken kann?...

LOL...I'll have to Google them and ask...

Plastic plants aren't very nice...don't blame Germany for not wanting them...

nanaglen2001
05-14-2007, 10:06 AM
To be honest, sometimes when I look at pics of tanks from people from the USA I get the creeps, all plastic with horrible decorations like T-Rex, Statue of Liberty and Triceratops within 55 galon, and the inhabitant is one sour looking Oscar....

I have really seen such a pic in the WWW, but it wasnt a pic from this forum.

@ Rue:

http://www.zajac.de/cgi/websale6.cgi?Ctx=%7bver%2f6%2fver%7d%7bst%2f3ec%2f st%7d%7bcmd%2f0%2fcmd%7d%7bm%2fwebsale%2fm%7d%7bs% 2fzoo%2dzajac%2fs%7d%7bl%2f03%2daa%2fl%7d%7bctx%2f ffcb74fc%2fctx%7d%7bmd5%2faa0ed603e30ea20087ee9263 ae22f1ac%2fmd5%7d&act=load_tpl&tpl=03-aa/cont_katalog.htm

Thats the E-mail adresse for ordering a Zajac Catalogue.

But something different..

I think my "indian Cichlids" really are "Anomalchromis thomasi"...at least those Google pics and my animals look pretty similar :((

Rue
05-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the catalogue site! I'll let you guys know if and when I get the catalogue!

Too bad the fish aren't what you were wanting. Will you keep them?

nanaglen2001
05-15-2007, 10:23 AM
The problem with those cuties are those "innocent" big eyes...humpf...:help:

The look at me as puppies always do, and who can resist those eyes...humpf...:help:

Yes I will keep them:hmm3grin2orange: